Kelsey Hayes wheels

Wheels, hubs and tires
ernietrucker
Bikes: 1957 Hydra Glide
1997 FLHR

Kelsey Hayes wheels

Post by ernietrucker »

Does anyone know where (or if it's possible) to repair the wheels (rims). One has a flat spot and some gouging-like it had smacked a curb, maybe. They are not too bad, I would just like to keep the wheels that came on the bike. Thanks
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Kelsey Hayes wheels

Post by Bigincher »

Best bet would be to start with Buchanans. Give them a call and see what they say...

http://www.buchananspokes.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Ernie,
Buchanan has a pair of my Kelsey Hayes rims right now, I shipped them 2 bare rims from my '31 VL and they were in tough shape, we'll see how well (and how fast) they can do the job. I'll keep everyone posted.

there is another outfit, not far from Buchanan, that may also be able to straighten your rims. I do not have any personal experience with them but maybe somebody else has used their service and can respond, here's the link:

http://www.picowheel.com/services.nxg
mike
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

Thanks for the quick replies. keep us posted on how yours turn out from Buchanan's. I'll give em a call. Mine are probably usable and chrome is good, I just want 'em right.
tattoo mark
Bikes: 55fl,79flh,93flhtp

Post by tattoo mark »

ernietrucker wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. keep us posted on how yours turn out from Buchanan's. I'll give em a call. Mine are probably usable and chrome is good, I just want 'em right.
i bought a set from this guy if i'm right i think he rebuilds wheels on the side heres his email address:knabbefeldt@chater.net he also is a member on http://www.knucklenutz.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; my wheels were powder coated with cadium spokes,etc.
tattoo mark
Bikes: 55fl,79flh,93flhtp

Post by tattoo mark »

tattoo mark wrote:
ernietrucker wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. keep us posted on how yours turn out from Buchanan's. I'll give em a call. Mine are probably usable and chrome is good, I just want 'em right.
i bought a set from this guy if i'm right i think he rebuilds wheels on the side heres his email address:knabbefeldt@charter.net he also is a member on http://www.knucklenutz.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; my wheels were powder coated with cadium spokes,etc.
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

Sent mine to Buchanan's this week. I'll let everyone know how they turn out.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

I sent them a 45 and a 47 a while back. They did a nice job of getting them straight and fixing the curbing but they can only go so far. The rest is up to you. Bob l
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I forgot to report back about the '31 VL rims I sent to Buchanan. As Bob said they can only do so much, but what they do is done right, and the turn-around time is very reasonable. My '31 VL rims are now straight and true, and useable again.

mike
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

When talking to Bucannon one time about something they recommended this place to me, and I have had excellent results with them. I staightened the wheel partly before I sent it to them. They finished that, and blended the wheels excellently. They are known as http://www.chromeplating.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Mike
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

Thanks. I just want em true. They still look pretty good and very usable. I talked to Kennie at Buchanan's and I know my rims are in good hands.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”