Mid star hubs vs star hubs, similar applications?

Wheels, hubs and tires
Tom1969
Inactive member
Bikes: 1960 Panhead FL Bobber
1960 Panhead Semi-restoration
2003 Custom Softail
1986 sportster

Mid star hubs vs star hubs, similar applications?

Post by Tom1969 »

Hello, first i want to comment that this is an excellant and informative site.

My question is, Can i use rims with mid star hubs with a mechanical rear drum brake.

I also have a mid star hub wheel I would like to use for my front drum brake application. The drum backing plate is not the smooth type, but rather the 1948 traditional one which resembles a clover pattern were the mounting bolts attach.

I was wondering if these applications will marry together fine, and if it would require any special spacers, bushings ect.

thank you,

Tom
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

Re: Mid star hubs vs star hubs, similar applications?

Post by JR JOHNSON »

HI, THE MID HUBS BRAKE DRUMS , HAVE BALL BEARINGS IN THE DRUM(2) 1 ON THE OTHERSIDE,DRUMS ARE DIFFERANT 61?TO 66 58 TO 60? 36 TO 57 MECHANICAL BRAKE ALL DIFFERANT FROM HYDRALIC,STAMP STEEL,MECHNICAL, I HAVE MACHINE, MONKEY AROUND AND FITTED A CAST, 58 DRUM TO MY 50 THE ANTI SKID STAMPED DRUMS I MADE THEM WORK,NARROWING SHOES,GROOVE IN DRUM ECT. BUT ANY THING IS POSSIBLE,BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE A PAIN IN THE ASS. HOPE I'M CORECTED ON THE YEARS OF DRUMS . with respect JR
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Tom1969,
Short answer is no, your pissing in the wind. Mid star hubs are non-supported on one end and require bearings in the brake drums to carry the load. Mechanical drums have no provision for bearings. Jr Johnson's comment does not work for you as '58 style drums also have no bearings.
And '48 front drums are for springer brakes and are smaller in diameter than Hydra-glide brakes, again no-go.
More time and effort is spent trying to make stuff work than a finished bike is worth.
Do it once-Do it right.
Robbie
Tom1969
Inactive member
Bikes: 1960 Panhead FL Bobber
1960 Panhead Semi-restoration
2003 Custom Softail
1986 sportster

Post by Tom1969 »

Thanks, this helps. I have some options. Number one, use the required drums with there respected hubs. No problem. Its good to hear this information. And your right, I'd rather do it right instead of butchering parts and having headaches down the road. With that being said does anyone have any leads on were I can get some good reasonably priced drum brake parts?

thanks,

Tom

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”