Rebuilding rims ?

Wheels, hubs and tires
mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Rebuilding rims ?

Post by mcraeav »

I am rebuilding the rims after powdercoating on my 62 FLH and after reading all the post on the matter I am still not sure if I should put in an offset or not. When I took apart mine the front was centered with the rim and hub and the rear was offset to the brake side by only 1/32".
What is the correct way to do it? Shouldn't the rims end up centered with the forks and swing arm?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Rebuilding rims ?

Post by Cotten »

Mark!

Even though you are doing a custom, you really, really, really could save some grief by investing into a Service Manual.

All star hubs are laced the same, because you should 'rotate' them for even wear.

1/32" (which is plus or minus 1/64") might be as close as a dinged OEM or modern aftermarket rim can be.

...Cotten
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Mark,
Listen to Cotten. The front and rear wheels should end up aligned with each other, and they will only do that if they are laced by the book. That's why they call them interchangeable, they should all be exactly the same, pan or knuckle, front or back, on a sidecar or on the back of a WL.

mike
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Mcraeav,
Don't confuse your wheels with the posts for '67-'72 wheels. They are a different animal! All star hub wheels are centered to the centerline of the frame/fork. If you don't have a truing stand you can do them in place with an equal measurement from each fork leg. I firmly agree with Cotten. Buy a manual. Forums are fine for bouncing off ideas, but the written word is best for basics. And the assembly is a wheel, the rim is only the outer band! Hub+spokes+ rim=wheel. :mrgreen:
Robbie
mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Post by mcraeav »

Thanks for the help everyone; I just got my manual and after reading the post which I guess were for later wheels just wanted to check. I will lace them up with the offset.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”