tire guru needed

Wheels, hubs and tires
chuck58pan

tire guru needed

Post by chuck58pan »

58to64 fl frame , oem 16x3 rims with fat valve hole. I had an mk II on the rear years ago, loved it but I can't get passed the idea of putting a rear designed tire on the front(reversed or not).The cokers are fairly high$ . I have a kenda 6 ply nylon onthe front it is 5.10x 16 . after speaking w. someone at avon's 800# I now know the 5.10 or the equivalent 130-90 is a 90 aspect tire that is ruffly an inch shorter than the 5.00x16. would a 140--90 tire make up for that lost inch (ground clearance) and fit under stock fenders. also are high quality fat rubber tube available ? Dennis KIRK's book has a designation tr-16 for fat side-valve but nothing in the list is tr-16. I guess i will throw a newer 6ply kenda on the rear for 60$ and try to make up the 100 $ to get free shipping with tube and rim strip .The Factory specd. 5.10x16 aft. 69 I don't know the diff. in ground clearance betx the Duo & Electra-Glides. Does anyone ride their Duo-Glide on 5.10x16? Lastly there is some relationship with gearing I don't get what that is unless it is involving the speedo. Thanks,
chuck
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: tire guru needed

Post by mbskeam »

chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan »

Thanks mbskeam, very useful to see it spelled-out.
VT

Post by VT »

I ride with Cheng-Shin. Most of my machine was made in Taiwan, why stop at star wheel hubs? Just lace them with Buchanan's s/s.
Check the tread pattern. They look Goodyear/Carlise/H.D.S./ "Speed-Grip" Shave Cheng-Shin off with a pack of single edge razor blades - if you have a steady hand.
# 4 until it gets timed out.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhi ... G_CL_1.jpg
chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan »

thanks for that. I did use buchannan's when i laced the front hub. now after some research and help from folks on this tremendous site my bewilderment regarding tire #'s is less. the 140x90 that i hoped would increase ground-clearance is just a fatter tire same 90 aspect. I will use buchannan spokes again when i rebuild the next wheel. My thinking also ventured into the possibility of running 5.00x16 in rear and . the 5.10x16 (that i have) on the front. this apparentntly would set-up a trail problem that would manifest itself in a high speed wobble.I am still wondering how a 140x90 rear combined w a 130x90 front would run on a stock 58-64 drop frame and hydra-glide front, chain primary,2into 1 exhaust. thanks, chuck
chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan »

after all the angst over this tire deal ,i went with the avon . the ground clearance issues seemed to relevent plus the taller look will be more as it should be. I loved the old avon rear when the bike was set-up differently i am hopeful that they will prove to be just as good in a front/ rear application. thanks chuck

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”