Tire pressure experiment

Wheels, hubs and tires
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Tire pressure experiment

Post by panfreak »

Author: panfreak

I know some of you experiment with less than recommended tire pressures, but I would advise staying above 0. Last night I lost all pressure in my front tire (I had about 3 seconds of warning) doing 50 down the highway. At first i thought the funny feeling was a truck going the other way, but before I could do anything I was all over the road. Headed for the ditch, kept it away, back on the road, all over the place, how I never died I don't know. The guy that was with me said he'd never seen riding like that before. Actually kept it upright. I NEVER want to do that again. Got her back to my shop at 10:30 last night, I'm gonna pull the tire after work and see if there is any indication of what went wrong. I tried to put air into the tire to roll it off the trailer and it wouldn't hold anything, but I'm not surprised after going about two hundred feet on the sidewall.
Thank you guardian angel.

Post by sidecar

Had the same thing happen to me with the back tire. Scary shit !!!!
Glad to see you came out of it in great condition !!! Good job keeping the bike upright !!! Tire, tube and underwear and you ready again.

Post by panfreak

Pulled the tire/tube.... split at base of valve stem. bought a new tube, it's wayyyyy beefier around the stem area, and the diameter of the stem itself is much thicker. Fits the hole snug now, the (crappy) tube I had before had a loose fit in the hole which I think led to the failure. I went back and bought another tube to swap out with the rear because although it hasn't failed (yet) it is the same shit variety. Better safe than sorry. At least I found what I think was the problem (split might be due to driving on sidewall) if I wouldn't have known the cause I would forever be wondering if it was gonna happen again when I least expected (shudder).

MORAL: Always get the best- so far FLOAT, CHAIN, TUBE, GAS... it really doesn't pay to get anything less

Post by billy

panfreak-

I agree w/ya about buying quality, Tools, parts... & everything else..
the ol inner tubes come in handy. I cut them up & use them for many different things. Like under the dash switch cover, I cut out a donut & add it to prevent any wires making contact w/cover & etc...

Post by panpal

Panfreak

Was the old tube the style that you must use a nut to hold the valve stem in place? Just wondering because that is what The Harley shop sold me for a replacement in my area. I'm planning a four day ride later this year and don't need surprises like this myself. Damn glad you made it man! I'd say past dirt bike experience helps in this situation also.

Post by panfreak

Panpal,
No it wasn't the metal type, just rubber. But there was a definate difference in overall toughness. You could feel the difference, and the old tube had a valve stem that wasn't much thicker than a pen. New one is thicker and flares out about halfway down to around as thick as my finger. I addressed the rim hole again too this time around, I thought I had done a good job before, but my level of acceptance has gotten higher since sunday night. Now that hole is buttery smooth.
Billy,
I did two things with the old tube last night after the ride. I cut out the section around the stem and stuck it on the wall as a reminder, and I cut out a few of those donuts for me and friends. Good advice, you must be a 'binner!

Post by billy

panfreak-

must'a been a wild ride!! Good handling I'd say!!

PS: what's a 'binner ?? I probably am though.

Post by sidecar

At least these donuts won't go stale !!!!
I just changed tires and tubes on a Russian Ural. They still use real rubber. The tires wear fast and the tubes always lose air.

Post by billy

Sidecar-

I hear ya on the do-nuts.. ;D making me hungry.
The rubber tubes make good insulators for the battery box & lid.
I like to sillycone rubber into coil covers to prevent any spark-arch...too.
So many uses!! & the price is right too ;D

panfreak- What's a 'binner ???

Post by panfreak

Hey Billy,
A "binner" is someone who roots around in dumpsters or trash bins and finds something that can be re-used or re-claimed. I find a lot of steel and other stuff that sometimes looks too good to throw away. I currently have a used fire extinguisher, I'm thinking of taking 6" out of the center and shortening it up. Might make a cool oil tank for a chopper. I also claimed an old bed frame that had some radius tubing which might be useful on a springer. It's a disease...

Post by billy

Ahhh!!! A 'Binner aka "Dumpster Diver" I got ya now !!!
Yea, I have been known to NOT pass up "Good Junk" ;D

Thanks Panfreak
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Tire pressure experiment

Post by 58flh »

Bottom LINE HERE!---Check out what you purchase! There is ALOT of KRAPPPP out there!--SPEND THE $$$$ IT WILL save you in the LONG-RUN!--58flh 8)

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”