Star hub paint

Wheels, hubs and tires
Ned

Star hub paint

Post by Ned »

What is the correct black paint to paint my star hubs with.
thank you.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Star hub paint

Post by Cotten »

Ned!
We know a trick question when we see one.

...Cotten
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Ned...
There's this black paint I've been using for a few years now...it is a nice shade and looks black. I've seen it used many times on alot of the black painted parts on stock, OEM parts and I can testify that is just like the black HD used right from the factory. I stumbled upon it quite by accident. I went to Schucks Automotive supply and saw it on the paint rack. It said, "Black" so I tried it...man is it black. Anyway, I'd try that if your looking for black paint... go to any automotive supply and ask for it. Just go up to the counter and tell 'da man, "Hey, do you have any black paint?" That should get you what you need...good luck...tell 'em Bobber Jim sent ya..they'll probably give 'ya a discount! Hope that helps....
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

Hi ,
I`m an auto restorer and the PPG Concept ;) 9300 black is a very nice product and very black. it`s an acrilc urathane , very tough and you can flatten it with flattening agent if you like.
I will tell you what will make the nicest looking and most durable finish for frames ext.; bare metal prep - 2 coats of PPG DP90 LF black epoxy primer ( non sanding) followed by the black Concept.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Cotten
Maybe it did sound like a trick or dumb question,but I do not want to use an el cheapo paint and have it crack or peel when I lace the wheel up.

Ned
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Powder coat gloss black is what I have uded and it is holding up just fine.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

They have a liquid black or called something like that in powder coating that is real slick looking.
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Ditto on the Cotten comment...I surely thought it was a "trick" question...actually thought the author was trying to see if we were all awake. No offense in my reply....I use powdercoat...long lasting and more chip resistant during lacing/truing...which as Cotten pointed out...is cosmetically distracting (paint chipping that is!)on the final product!
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”