Rear Hub Problem - 1961 Panhead - Please Help (Pictures)

Wheels, hubs and tires
kaptekarev
Inactive member

Rear Hub Problem - 1961 Panhead - Please Help (Pictures)

Post by kaptekarev »

I've got a problem with my rear hub. The female threads on the hub were destroyed when the nut (shown) backed out and the bearing wore the threads smooth. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this. Any ideas?

I figure I have three options;
1) replace the hub, but I want to use NOS parts and don't know where to get a replacement (I've been checking ebay)
2)Repair this one by adding metal to the inner diameter by welding, and then re-taping the threads. Does anyone know what type of threads these are, and where do I get a tap for them?
3)Kludge the thing together (least favorite option).
panhead62
Bikes: 62 pan, 83 FXR, 2013 Ultra Classic Trike

Re: Rear Hub Problem - 1961 Panhead - Please Help (Pictures)

Post by panhead62 »

J&P Cycles have the hub, but it won't be nos it will be replica. Check with your local machine shop. They should be able to repair and cut the new threads. Hope this helps some.

Panhead62
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

Why not just get the Correct hub for your Panhead ? That will fix 2 things!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Guest wrote:Why not just get the Correct hub for your Panhead ? That will fix 2 things!
Kaptekarev would also have to replace the 1967-72 brakedrum and axle, perhaps the entire brake backing plate assembly as well.

Since J&P is very much a Tedd's repackager, and Tedd often has NOS offerings, and add the fact that the '67-'72 market is remarkably small to support such reproductions,... It is possible that an NOS OEM hub might show up.
(A Tedd's rep can tell you 'country of origin' over the phone.)

At about $200, that's still cheaper than replacing all the rest of the hardware.

I have encountered more than one of those hubs that have been welded together permanently!

....Cotten

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”