HELP: Sidecar wheel hub

Wheels, hubs and tires
thsmith

HELP: Sidecar wheel hub

Post by thsmith »

Is a in this case 1949 sidecar wheel hub the same as a star hub minus a few parts ? Without thinking I had a tire mounted to a good star hub wheel and tried to mount it on my sidecar. That does not work, can not get the wheel all the way on the axle.

So I started looking at the old wasted wheel that was on the sidecar when I bought it and it appears to be a star hub minus a few parts.

I took the parts out that were not present in the old wheel and I have it mounted, appears to be fine but finding sidecar information is hard, not had much luck getting information here either. which is a little scarry.

I know some of you have side cars, HELP ME PLEASE !

Thanks,

Tracy
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I know nothing about Servis, but I do have an early Servi hub in my trade stash. It has a tapered bore, and does not accomodate any internal bearings that I can guess at.
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Cotten,

Are youi saying servicar hubs and sidecar hubs are the same ? What I have found so far is if remove the roller bearing sleeve it seems to work. The sidecar axle looks alot like this sleeve.

I can only imagine the axle for a sidecar would have to be strong than a front or rear axle due to being supported on only one end and due to excessiv e preasure a sidecar could generate.

I was excited about getting a same year matching sidecar for my 49 but the lack of available information is discouraging.

Thanks,

Tracy
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Doh!
My mistake; I should wear my glasses more.

The best that I remember, sidecar hubs are just like the others, so they can be rotated.

Could it be that a hub sleeve has frozen itself upon the spindle? The sidecar spindle is tapered in the middle and surprisingly small. .
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

No, the sleeve is not frozen on. I have also seen pictures of other sidecar axles and look the same as mine. I have been rolling it around the garage and it seens fine, no end play or noise.

I keep researching but if no one here really knows then I am at a lost except to mount it to the bike, ride and check and repeat.

There has to be a sidecar wizard somewhere who knows about these things, they should write a book.

I am also looking for proper routing and what clamps are used to run the fender light wiring.

Any information is a big help, take pictures anything. I will be in your debt.

Tracy
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Just to wrap this up in case someone in the future has a similiar issue and they do a search they will hopefully gain some information.

Just to recap, I could not get my star hub wheel on my 49LE sidecar unless I removed the bearing sleeve from the hub.

Sidecar hubs in this case are just like anyother and can be swapped with your front or rear.

My issue was the bearing sleeve was seized on the axle. I feel like such a girl for not catching that originally but I had no reference material and thought sidecar stuff is just made different, thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Anyway, a little heat and bearing sleeve nearly falls off, problem solved.

I had some support here, you know who you are and THANK YOU !

Tracy

Case closed.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”