Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Tire fitment

Post by PanPal »

What problems would a guy (you know someone I know, not me) running tires that say front fitment on the front and rear of the bike possibly encounter?
sleeper

Re: Tire fitment

Post by sleeper »

PanPal, As to a specific answer to your question
I will only say:
It's best to put good quality tires on in their proper location, direction & inflation. But if one must use a directional rear on the front, install the direction on backwards. On the rear, I would be cautious as the front tire is designed to handle braking stress only & that's why rear tires also cost more. They have to handle Torque from motor & braking....
My life is worth more than an incorrect tire,
my 2 cents...
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Billy, thanks for the input. The tires are in great condition. but they ain't exactly right. The tires say tubeless and they are on stock starhub rims with tubes in them. Tubes are another issue. The tubes Harley gave me were steel stem tubes. The hole in the rim is much larger than the stem. They had a nice cupped washer and nuts that seemed to hold everything centered pretty well, but everyone seemed to say no to these tubes in another post. I'll turn around that rear tire now and get the correct tires after I use a little of this tread up. :-X
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Nothing wrong with "Upgrading to modern tires" which are primarily 'tubeless' & on any spoked rim you use a tube. This is common practice. No news there.
You have to be the judge on your decisions. As you are also the Pilot. But Safety First!!
The rubber IS the only thing holding the rims off the road.
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

I had a tire installed on rim bout 20 yrs. ago and the direction arrow pointed one way and he installed it the other I never looked and it lasted 5 - 6 yrs.maybe longer. He also was a drag racer (bikes) and would have known better but I guess he screwed up or just didn't think it mattered. These were Harley mags and tubeless, on a rigid frame Pan, front, w/ tubes?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I have done & seen some things as well w/tires.
Maybe it's the Grey hair & the realization that I don't wanna try some of the things I used to do, cause I know my bones break [been there] not fun! Maybe I'm just getting older, & am trying to avoid past events & that I am lucky enough to still be "In The Game" ;D
In addition: most quality tires have a 'spot mark' or dot on the sidewall that is to be lined up with the valve stem for the least amount of weight to balance it..
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Dot Mark Cool I learned something new. Thanks Billy! The bike is set up stock and I'm not pulling any hole shots, so Ill turn that rear tire around, run it for the season and check it regularly. I'm not looking for any surprises myself, but I think it's holding pretty well.
Do you guys balance your own tires or do I have to take off the wheels and get someone with a balancing machine to get me fixed up?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

PanPal, This mark is NOT to be confused with the D.O.T. stamp. sometimes it's a red paint dot or a mark.
I mount & balance my own with liquid 'Balance Plus' & it plugs a leak, if necessary. No problems to date...
But different guys have 'their own way'

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”