Sealed wheel bearings in old Star Hubs

Wheels, hubs and tires
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Sealed wheel bearings in old Star Hubs

Post by 51Hog »

Have been searching but can't find the info I am looking for.

Has anyone been able to install sealed wheel bearings in their old Star Hubs? Form some of the old posts here, it sounds like getting the correct parts will be difficult. I have been checking and the complete rebuild kits cost about $120.00 per wheel? I think that Sealed bearings may be the way to go for me. I just do not want to destroy an old hub. Can it be done without destroying the hubs?
Thanks
57JOHND
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Sealed wheel bearings

Post by 57JOHND »

Dont know of anyone that has done it themselves, but there is a service that is fitting them for customers. Appears they have happy customers.
[http://www.starhubpros.com]
moby65
Inactive member

Post by moby65 »

You have an old hub that can't be rebuilt, what good is it? If you want to keep the look and not go to a repop star hub, there is a solution. I had one hub converted to sealed bearings and powdered coated by the crew at Starhubpros and was more than happy with their work. Uses stock axle and spacers also. Top notch quality and a quick turnaround made me one of those 'Happy Customers'.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

51hog
Sealed bearings are good, you can also change the spools to accept the Timken bearings and seals . They look just like the star hubs and your stars will bolt right on. Of course it will cost $$$ , but mine work quit nicely. You can get them from JPs Part # 2000175, but it also requires there axle assembly and this is not a cheap refit. The place they are talking about above is probably less , you'll have to check it out . I'm quite happy with mine.Good luck
Tracy Smith

Post by Tracy Smith »

I had 2 starhubs converted to timken bearing and was extremely happy, I am going to have them do my side car wheel next. Jim is a grerat guy to work with.

Tracy
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I knew the guys at starhubpros http://www.starhubpros.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; did a Timken bearing conversion, but didn't know they did a sealed bearing conversion. I'll have to check out their latest offerings. The downside is that you have to unlace the hub from the rim for them to do the conversion. But still worth it if you're hub is getting worn beyond use.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Thanks to all for your responses. Just got off of the horn with Jim---What a great guy.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”