Rear wheel: what type is used for mechanical brakes

Wheels, hubs and tires
gary

Rear wheel: what type is used for mechanical brakes

Post by gary »

I know this is an older Panhead forum but it seemed like the best place to ask the question I have. I hope no one gets upset are put off with questions. All posts will be greatly appreciated. I missed the chopper building in the early 70's. Bought a Panhead, but before it got going, it got stolen. I want to catch up after 30 years of dreaming. I want to build a 60's style chopper. Bobber style with mechanical front and rear brakes. Wishbone frame, 6" over springer, 12" apes, bobber tank. The rolling chassis is basically the Captain America bike. What type of rear wheel is used for mechanical brakes. I came across billet to flanges confusing.
Thanks for your help. Looking forward to the post.
Gary
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Rear wheel

Post by caschnd1 »

Gary,

You need a wheel with a "Star Hub" to run the old drum brakes. The star hubs were used from 1936 until some time in the late 60's if I remember correctly. Star hubs can be run on both the front and rear wheel.

Here is a photo of a bare star hub:

Here is a star hub laced up. This is the side of the hub where the brake drum (front or rear) mounts:

Here is the same hub looking at the opposite side:

I'm a big chopper/bobber fan. Your project sounds very cool. If you want something with the stance of the Captain America bike, it had more like 12" or 14" overstock forks. But the 6" you mentioned would also be very cool and a little less radical.

Post some pictures for us to drool over as you make progress ;)

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

You can also get the star hub look , but with newer type tapered timken bearings . I know JP cycles sells the complete wheel assem. or just the hub and axle conversion . I have them on my 58 frame , front and rear and there is no hassle with shimming to get the proper set up and the timken bearings are a definite upgrade from the older type bearings and you can't tell the diff. on the out side , its your call ,both work .
Yes , photos !
gary

Post by gary »

Thanks, this is great, it will get me started. Ordering the frame from Paughco any day and
will head to J&P for the wheels.
Gary
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Gary, recently came across a site called starhubspro.com that takes the OEM hubs and uses new guts but retains the original looks. Haven't tried them yet but it looks like a good combo of original look w/ modern guts
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

I can definitely recommend StarHubsPro. I had my star hubs done by them last year... excellent work and great folks to deal with.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

gary

Post by gary »

Thanks Again
Gary

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”