Tire irons and you

Wheels, hubs and tires
jack moghrabi
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Tire irons and you

Post by jack moghrabi »

Hello everyone

The rear tire on my 63 is showing some real wear. In fact, most of the tire is bald and the most severe wear is in an area where the actual tire thread is showing. This section runs about a foot around the circumference.
I've been keeping an eye on the rear tire for the past several weeks so I know what's going on and that I do need a new rear tire. Everytime I ride the bike (everyday) I'm conscious I'm pushing things and I have slowed down my riding although I don't ride fast anyway.
I'd like to do the rear tire myself. Any advice anyone? How difficult is it with the tire irons? I'm familiar with the technique and I have read that an easy way to break the bead is by carefully driving over the edge of the tire with another vehicle.

Any tricks and advice is appreciated. jackMo
mtnspan
Inactive member

Re: Tire irons and you

Post by mtnspan »

Iv'e used a big "C" clamp to break the bead, also done it on the side of the road by using another bikes kickstand. Crude but it worked. Laid the wheel on the ground under the kickstand then used the bikes weight to break the bead.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I just got done replacing a spoke and my tube in the rear tire , I do not know what it was sealed with or maybe how long it was on there but, I had two big 250lb+ Buddy's on it and still had to beat the spoon in a little at a time around the rim to bust the seals on both sides .( with valve core removed) Once it pops , it all goes.Good luck , it took me all day.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Read this one

Tire bead breaker tip
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

My dad showed me a trick when I was a kid, put the mounted tire under the car bumper then put a bumper jack right next to the rim on the tire, work the jack untill the weight of the car pushes the tire off the rim. Now with modern cars not having that type of jack you might have to get creative with the bottle jack under the trailer hitch or something...MW
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I've got quite a collection of irons, but on the road you want a "Breezer". Most catalogs have it.

For breaking the bead,...yeah I have proper tools,...but puttng a 2X4 beneath the tire, but not under the rim, and then backing the front tire of your car up upon it will loosen the most stubborn old Goodyear. Firestones might still have to be cut off!

....Cotten
jack moghrabi
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by jack moghrabi »

Allright everyone thanks for the replies.

I just feel like my rear tire is waiting for me as a final challenge of sorts, like running a marathon or climbing Mt. Everest or Kilimanjaro.
For the past several years I've avoided buying new tires because excellent slightly used tires can be easily had for free or $15 to $20. Four years ago I had a slightly used police motorcylce tire put on the bike's rear wheel for $20 with excellent results. Of course I can afford to buy new tires but it just seems like a waste when you can find good tires in the piles heading to the recycler

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”