Wheels, hubs and tires
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Aluminum rim refurbishing?

Post by George Greer »

Hi all,

I am currently away from home on a port mission for the Army here in Europe.

My question is:

Can anyone recommend a firm/company private shop in Oregon or the greater PNW (washington) that can bead blast clean, and clear coat aluminum wheels.

When I get back to the US next year, after I pick up the engine's bottom end that Dan Baisley is building for me, I would like to take the wheels to be cleaned/repaired and new tires on them while I begin to build the engine top end.

Thanks for any tips/advice.

George
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Re: Aluminum rim refurbishing?

Post by George Greer »

I found this site.

Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.skipswheelwerks.com

Once I get back home on Monday/Tuesday, I will be giving them a call and see if they are able to do what I need to have done.

George
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Looks like the same type of company that repairs alloy wheel here in Minneapolis, The wife's new used car had some curb rash on a couple rims when we bought the car, the dealer had them repaired right in the parking lot and they look perfect...
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

GEORGE----Just remember If they use a regular media like Black-Majic, It will leave the rims dull/Then they have to polish them to look good!If you shoot clearcoat on smooth surfaces It will last 2-yrs. before it starts to peel.It will start to peel where the spokes are.It will get to a point where you will actually be able to lift an edge & rip a sheet off.Powder coating will last/My buddy has his done for a few yrs. now & all he does is spray Easy-Off oven cleaner on them & rinse it off 5-min. later & they look as if they were just out of a box.Leaving them raw will keep you busy once or twice a year with the Mothers Alum. Polish.If you live in a place that has all the seasons & near saltwater,Theres no doubt you will have to keep on top of them if you want them looking NEW.Me personally I love ALUM. HATE CHROME!/You can always Shine that ALUM. when it gets that bad/or Do what my wife does everytime you put new rubber on ,that's when you clean them.MOTHERS POLISH & SIMICHROME work great on Alum.I lean towards the Mothers,Its just what im use to.GOOD-LUCK ---RICHIE
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Post by 6hds »

Brother George, if you like doing your own thing, you must know somebody with a sand blaster or borrow one. A couple hours in the back yard and some play sand from Lowes might get the look you want. If you buy glass bead, the wheels will come out "brighter". The cost of glass bead will make you want to reclaim it though. Leave them bare and use the "rough casting" aluminum wheel spray cleaner from the auto parts store on them once in a while and they'll look nice. Or take a chance with some spray can clear coat if tedious washing isn't your thing. You'll forget what you did to them when they need to be re-done. By the way, your timer is working nicely. Gary

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”