Spoking and Truing. What's wrong?

Wheels, hubs and tires
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Spoking and Truing. What's wrong?

Post by Schwee »

What am I doing wrong here?
I decided to start by bringing all nipples down to just cover the spoke threads.
But look at the pictures. The spokes with threads still showing are pretty tight.
Most of the ones without threads showing are very loose; some with nipples still protruding a half inch into the tube area.
The direction of the nipple holes in the rim look to be correctly matched to the spokes.
Clue: The ones with treads showing (that seem too tight) are the inside set on one side and the outside set on the other side.
21" rim; star hub; all spokes are the same length.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Spoking and Truing. What's wrong?

Post by Panacea »

Are you crossing four spokes in the other direction?
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Schwee,
I believe it has to do with your rim. First, try reversing your spoke layout; it looks like you started with the star up, and the first set of ten spokes going to the left, counter-clockwise. Try re-lacing it with the star up, and the first set of ten spokes going to the right, clockwise; and make sure that the nipple points directly at the spoke that you start with. If I'm not mistaken, on later model rims the factory may have changed the spoke orientation. If switching direction doesn't work, it may be that the rim is for a different application? I know that I've run into the same problem that you are experiencing with one set on each side showing long, and I resolved it, but I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what it was; pretty sure it was in the clockwise/counter-clockwise orientation and making sure that the nipple points directly at the spoke. The first couple of times you run into a problem with spokes it seems pretty baffling, but you'll get it, hang in there and Good Luck!

Geo.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Most aftermarket rims are not drilled the same as H-D. The spoke sets on opposite sides will be reversed from the direction on the other side. The inners will not both go the same direction as you have them, but opposite to each other. Late H-D rims are that way too. It won't lace like an early book says to do it. And it doesn't matter which side of the hub is up.
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee »

Y'all got it exactly right!
Reversed one side and everything is coming along nicely now.

Thanks, Boys!

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”