76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

1953 F L front wheel Restoration question

Post by rmcrh »

What would be considered correct for 1953 on the front , Chrome or black wheel rim ? Finish on spokes ? Thanks in advance.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 1953 F L front wheel Restoration question

Post by RUBONE »

It depends on the type of bike. Most police bikes had black rims. Virtually all civilian had chrome ones. If a bike was ordered for commercial use such as equipped with a package truck it would have been shipped with black rims unless the customer paid extra for the chrome. Then as now dealers ordered bikes that appealed to the public in order to make sales, and chrome was popular in those days. The current fad of painting rims has more to do with the exorbitant cost of re-chroming originals than it does with being correct.
If a bike is restored with deluxe trim it would only have ever come stock with chrome rims.
All spokes were cad plated regardless of rim finish.
Robbie
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

What do your wheels have now?
If you have painted wheels you can sand the paint and see if there is raw steel or chrome underneath.
Original wheels are stamped KH on the inside with a date code.
Jerry
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

rmch---It all depends on what you want!--If the bike is original & your interested in keeping her that way ,Then by all means do the correct thing for that year bike. If its not original & #s dont match a black paited rim with stainless spokes is easy to keep clean!--Chrome as you know requires Alot of care!,I have chrome-rims & spokes & Im tired of the upkeep!--Also my bike is not a numbers match bike!,The next time I relace the works Im going for Black & SS-spokes.--Just something to think about--& my 2 on it!---Respectfully----RICHIE 8)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

rmcrh wrote:What would be considered correct for 1953 on the front , Chrome or black wheel rim ? Finish on spokes ? Thanks in advance.
rmcrh!

I'm almost certain that the front rim would have matched the rear.

....Cotten
rmcrh
Bikes: 86 FXRP Sidecar
76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Post by rmcrh »

Thank you for the responses. I am assisting and seeking information. What is considered stock application?
The front wheel needs to be changed and as before they want to put back the original wheel and or any replacement parts along the way to be effective caretakers. This is an original 53 I bought in California , 1978 with a cash advance on my chargex, from a dealer in Fontana , Billie Robinson and his wife Pat. Any one with information about them I would appreciate as I lost contact years ago I last saw them in New mexico where they moved their dealership.
The present owner is part of my extended family and as above his desire is to maintain and refurbish to factory standards. This was our main rider for more years than I wish to comment and we treated Coolbreeze to many considered upgrades at the time. The present owner is disabled and as above I and Rich of RRHAWG are assisting him in his quest. He asked me about the wheels and I was unsure hence the post. Any assistance is appreciated.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”