Another tire question

Wheels, hubs and tires
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Another tire question

Post by 51Hog »

Has anyone tried this tire?

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog ... ts_id=5423

I am getting ready to put the pan on the road for the season.
Right now we have a lot of gravel and water on the roads from winter and it will be a while before they get cleaned up.
Tire recommendations?
I need to order tires, but some businesses do not ship to Alaska---Some that do , want more for the shipping than the tire.
Some will not use USPS which is the most economical for me.
Any Ideas?
Dale
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Another tire question

Post by 1950Panhead »

Panheads in Alaska?
There are several tread patterns available, however the grooves are designed to remove water and keep the tire in contact with the road.
The first year I was learning to ride my panhead the rear end "broke loose" on some dust/dirt on the road.
It was quite exciting, it was several years ago and I still remember it.
My recommendation is to wait for the ashphalt roads to be washed by rain before riding.
I have ridden my pan on gravel roads, I even like it, but you know your on gravel and have to be careful.
Jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Part of the fun of riding this old stuff is riding on all surfaces. And broadsliding around corners is fun!
Use a more aggressive tire like an Avon!
Robbie
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

dittos on the avon!

john
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

Avon is good as well as some of the retro tires from Coker .. stay away from the modern Dunlops ,, the side walls are way to stiff for your old ridgid frame . Hard to mount "by hand" and hard on the lower back ! Riding your roads are probly more like the roads of old where pans and knucks were to begin with. Ed

as for shipping to you not sure,, but try wwwsummitracing.com ,,, got my last one there @ $ 118.00 per tire , they might not be that cheap now but worth a look....
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The Avon Safety Mileage is a great tire for Pans, as long as your highways do not have rain grooves cut into the surface.
My 51FL with Avons is almost uncontrollable on our Colorado highways with rain grooves. My 57FL has Continental Conti Twins 16" front and back and is not as bad on rain grooves.
VPH-D
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

I need a set of tires, so I just ordered a pair of those Duros. i'll let you know how I like them.

Andy
jibhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 43 wlc ,1990 xl1200 ,73 shovel

Post by jibhead »

what is a rain groove ? havent they heard of camber ?
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Rain grooves are some diabolical thing thought up by lefist engineers who don't ride or drive. Imagine a huge rake dragged thru wet cement which will become the new road bed. Modern tire treads don't seem to be effected by them.
VPH-D
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Thanks for the input on the tires.
So far I have tried the Shinko.
By far, the worst tire that I have ever had the displeasure of riding on. It is a square edged tire and follows the ruts and cracks in the road. at any tire pressure. They looked like they may have been "replicas" of the old style tires.
Got about 3000 miles out of them--rotating them---

Tried the Cheng Shin. Was a good tire with no bad habits that I could find. at any tire pressure. They looked like they may have been "replicas" of the old style tires.
Got about 3000 miles out of them and did not rotate when I needed to. Now I have a bald tire and one that is still good.....
Not sure which tire I will end up with next....
Anyone tried the Diamond tread looking Avon?
Dale
azpaul50
Bikes: *

Post by azpaul50 »

Seems like the old tires, like diamond pattern, ran further up the side walls. I had wide white Cokers for a while on the Duo but changed them to a different Coker model... the wharchamacallits with 2 narrow white wall bands. Meanwhile, I put the "new" first set on my Road King. They lasted maybe 4,000 miles but also changed handling radically. My Road King would now turn on a dime compared to original (modern) stock tires which is something I didn't like. I am convinced it was due to the higher grip from the sidewall-to-road tread transition when turning and laying over. I've never been satisfied with any Coker finding historical problems with something... balance, symmetry, or durability. I just recently got my first set of Contis but not for a motorcycle. Given the conditions described in this thread, I wouldn't run repops for sustained, difficult, or aggressive riding under any circumstances. Oh, we got grooves too in a place that never freezes or does it rain much. I just figured the Californians caused the grooves with their tires on their way to Phoenix! - azpaul50
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

azpaul50 wrote:I just recently got my first set of Contis but not for a motorcycle. azpaul50
Paul, I know this is jumping the track on this thread topic but I just had to add my 2 cents on the Continentals. I put a set on the wife's '06 Charger a few years ago and had nothing but grief with them, worst set of tires I ever bought. Hope you have better luck than I did!

Dale, Knowing that you are one of the few that actually rides your pan, and wants to enjoy it, I am going to put another endorsement out here for the Avon Safety/Mileage. It is a full-height tire that duplicates the original for ground clearance and other size aspects. It far exceeds the OEM Goodyear Eagle or Super Eagle, or the Firestone Deluxe Champion in handling and wear characteristics. They look good too. I don't know who to recommend for purchasing them or shipping them to Alaska, but I'll bet you can find a supplier. Good tire, you'll love it, I promise!

Bike tires are a crap shoot and a trade-off, they are either real sticky (which don't last long) or real hard (which don't handle very well and are dangerous). Unless you know who made them, how they made them, and what they are made of, YOU DON'T KNOW. Trial & error can be risky and expensive. Your best bet is to learn from somebody elses' mistakes or successes. The Avons are good tires for a rider, I know, and so do a whole bunch more guys here on the site. You get what you pay for.

jmho

mike
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Thanks for pushing me over the edge Mike---
Just ordered Avon Safety Mileage MKII 5.00-16.
2 tires and 1 tube + USPS shipping were 371.74 from JP Cycles.
One of the only companies that I found that have brains enough to realize that you can ship to Alaska as easy as anywhere else.......
And for damn near the same money.
Flat rate priority is the same as anywhere else in the states.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

dale,

you'll like them.

john
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Good going, you made a wise choice!!
But, can you see Russia from your house?? :roll:
Robbie

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”