FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Upper motor mount Date Codes

Post by panhead_kicker »

Anyone ever seen the date code on the upper motor mount in reverse order ? i.e. Letter , then number?
All I've seen so far has been number then letter (year,month), but my experience is limited.
umm.... sorry everyone...a quick search of this forum yielded several instances. In this case C4 should equate to duoglide 64
mount.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Re: Upper motor mount Date Codes

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Mark, that C 4 is interesting because Palmer only gives one sequence for 1952 and up. (And part of that mount has been trimmed at the left.) It's also interesting to note that on page 193 of Classic Harley Big Twins, Greg Field refers to the 1952 frame's build date but doesn't give any character sequence.

Given the photo of the 4 A code below, it's possible the C 4 occurred through human error. I have a good photo of matching crankcase numbers for a 1947 Knucklehead and the 8 in the sequential portion on the left case is upside down so I attributed that to human error. Or perhaps it relates to the relevant employee's sense of humour?

Getting back to the top mount character sequence, I have two later examples with the letter first: H 7 (1967); and H 0 (1970). Both those examples are stamped on the right-hand side but some even later codes are stamped on the left side. Eric
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Hey Eric,
I felt kind of silly about 3 minutes after posting that, especially after seeing as how I had previously post my 69 frame which is "H8". As you may have suspected, I'm on the hunt for a duo frame, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to ensure I get what I think I'm getting. There is a LOT of mis-represented "stuff" for sale out there!
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

No need to feel silly about that. Most of the early mounts I've seen follow Palmer's stated sequence athough some don't. It may be that the official sequence changed somewhere in the late-1960s. And the examples we have of the code appearing on the left side of the mount may also indicate another official change.

I emailed H-D about the official start year for the additional small ID characters on the left side of the steering head but it appears my questions were misread so I've emailed again to clarify my requests. I'll post the response in that other thread when it comes through. Eric

Return to “Frame / Transmission”