Frame number

Identification information of frames and transmissions
david999
Bikes: WLA

Frame number

Post by david999 »

Hi,

I know this sounds stupid but I have a big argument going on in Germany. I am trying to register my WLA but it has a frame number stamped into left hand side of the headstock, because of this I am unable to register it as H-D rather a new bike which I have built.
Does any body out there have a similar number on the headstock. The German authorites reckon that Harley did not use chassis numbers until 1969.
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Re: Frame number

Post by Kurt »

Don't know what to tell you Dave. The frame did not come with a stamp.......so......it more than likely came from a country like Holland where the RDW stamped a number on the frame somewhere and then gave the bike a title (they don't go by engine serial number). Unless you can convince them that the bike is from one of those countries, then you may have to grind and weld the stamp to make it look original and take it to another inspection facility where they haven't seen your bike

Kurt.
david999

Post by david999 »

The bike came from Russia where it had been sent during the second world war and I bought it from an East German who had bought it from a Russia solder just after the collaspe of the wall. Although she was missing a few bits She as never been on the road. She is not a standard WLA but these modificactions appear to have been one in the factory and not by the last owner.
So I just dont know where this frame number (UL 73569) comes from.

David
Kurt
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

OK, I'll repeat myself. Your frame should not have any stamped numbers on it other than some small factory casting numbers.........and those are not casting numbers. They're not suppose to be there and they weren't stamped that way from the factory, no matter what anybody says or what story they tell you. Period!
Hold on......wait a minute, I'm not trying to be a smartass with this question, but are you sure you have a 45? The UL is a BT?
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

what side is the drive chain on?

mbskeam
david999

Post by david999 »

I am sure that she is WLA because I have checked the majority of the parts with the Spare parts catalog. The frame does not appear to have been modified except for this number ( I have had it down to bare metal for repainting The drive chain is on the right hand side.
I will take soome photographs when I have a bit of time.

David
Kurt
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

David, if you have it down to metal, weld up the numbers and you're done. The frame head is forged, so you can mig or tig weld it. Grind it down and have it sand blasted to give the original untouched look. If you get the same inspector, tell him you found an original frame in Holland and traded for yours. Be creative.
david999

Post by david999 »

I will do that thanks for your advice Kurt

David

Return to “Frame / Transmission”