Frame identification

Identification information of frames and transmissions
popspan

Frame identification

Post by popspan »

How can I figure out what year my frame is, I'm pretty sure its a 58. These are the numbers 47651-58. Can someone give me a clue
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Re: Frame identification

Post by DuoDave »

The number you quote is a casting number which all Duo Glide frames have. The date code is stamped on the top motor mount and consists of a letter and a number. If your frame was built in March 1958, the code would be 3 8.

Sorry Popspan, I had a touch of brain fade there. H-D denoted the month by a letter code. March would be C, third month, third letter of the alphabet. So, March 1958 would be C 8. April 1959 would be D 9 and so on.
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

Is your swing arm round? That would get it down to 11 - 12 yr area.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

popspan, If you can't see the date code on the top motor mount, as DuoDave stated, look further up where the Top mount wraps the frame, possibly on the Right side of the frame. This would be behind the R. gas tank..
Only other feature I am aware of is that, 58-64 Pan had a "Step Down" frame, referring to way the frame follows the shape of the top of the horseshoe oil tank, & then attached to a forging that goes back up to a Higher level for the Struts. That is the "Step Down Frame".
1965+ newer went straight back "No Drop down"...
popspan

Post by popspan »

Ok I just went ahead and took the tanks off, it has the date code of B9 so I guess the puts me at Feb of 1959. What is a frame like this worth? I would rather have the correct frame for my 51 but noe to sure if this one is worth getting rid of.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

popspan, was the date code on the "Right side" ?? Glad you know for sure..
Value, I'll leave that to others to give ya an idea!
My first thoughts are, If you can afford to 'keep it' AND
p/up a Wishbone, that would be Great. Maybe 25 years from now, You may want a Swing-arm to be a bit easier on your back. What better frame than
Dear 'ol Dad's 59 Frame. Worked for him..
my 2 cents

Return to “Frame / Transmission”