Identifying a 1949 Panhead frame

Identification information of frames and transmissions
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Identifying a 1949 Panhead frame

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Hi everyone,

Just stumbled across this board - looks like a great source of info.
I've just sold my shovel and bought a '49 FL panhead engine shoe-horned into what I was told was a '73(?) Duo-glide frame, and I'm looking at getting hold of an unmolested '49 frame to put the engine back into.
Does anyone have any pointers as to how I can identify that a frame is an original '49? for example casting numbers, particular mounts that should be there, etc?
Many thanks in advance!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Identifying a 1949 Panhead frame

Post by Cotten »

First priority is that you get a copy of Bruce Palmer's "How to Restore Your H-D" (Motorbooks International).
It outlines the differences in wishbones as well as early to late '49 frames, such as whether or not the front downtubes are flattened for the horn mounts or not.

I am currently in the middle of the ninth OHV off the line of that year. An old riding buddy has the fourth, but its been a righteous chop for decades.
Anybody got a spare lower right Sergeant's Bar?
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Re: Identifying a 1949 Panhead frame

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Hi Cotten,

Thanks for the recommendation - will check it out.

I was eyeing the frame currently on eBay, but can't get clear identification from the guy selling it unfortunately - though he seems like a decent bloke.
No rush - I'll probably ride the bike as it is for a bit, and take my time looking for the right frame.

Cheers,

Simon

Return to “Frame / Transmission”