nos Duo-Glide frame

Identification information of frames and transmissions
ingram
Bikes: 1998 Fat Boy
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

nos Duo-Glide frame

Post by ingram »

What do you think about this frame? Is it even possible for one of these to be around?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-NOS-PANH ... 24&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: nos Duo-Glide frame

Post by Bosheff »

I would probably cal "Bullshit" on this one. I suppose it could be the real thing, but I highly doubt it. I would have to personally examine it before making a decision. There will be telltale indicators. Even if it is what it is being presented as, there is still a limit on what it's worth. Is a N.O.S. frame worth a bunch more than a good solid unmolested frame from that era? I say no. There are still a bunch of good drop link frames available at reasonably fair prices. Now if this was a 36 Knuckle frame, the story might be different....bosheff
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Is that a 6 or an 8 in the date stamp on the top motor mount?
My eyes see a 6.... ?
ingram
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

Bigincher wrote:Is that a 6 or an 8 in the date stamp on the top motor mount?
My eyes see a 6.... ?
Looks like a 6 to me also. L6...doesn't make sense.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

I see it's still got the identifier #'s on the left side of the neck. These may be helpful in narrowing down the exact year. I also agree the top motor mount appears to have a "6" in it which is not consistant with a 58-64 frame. It's startin to smell funny....bosheff
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

ingram, I think that frame is one that was mentioned some time ago on another forum. The date code is L 6 which may indicate December 1966 manufacture and it could be a replacement H-D frame. On the left side of the steering head it has additional original component identifying numbers. The additional ID was first introduced for 1962 models and in this particular instance the ID consists of F3+++. The letter F was one of the four letters used for 1966–67 so the F would be consistent with a frame made in 1966 even though the frame itself is 1958–64 style.

But I think Bosheff's idea is a good one: personally examine it before making a decision.
Eric
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

There has been no reason why it could not be what it claims. Despite the L6 marking keep in mind that the factory continued to produce replacement items for some years after actual models were dropped. It could easily be an early style frame made in '66. the quality of the paint is consistent with H-D finish at the time. The tool box mounting hole is not drilled in the lower casting which would be consistent with later production as it was also used on Shovelhead frames with no drilling.
I don't see anything wrong with it as advertised. It would just never be correct for any year Duo-Glide and could take a judging hit if used on a restoration for judging!
Robbie
And I see Speeding Big Twin and I were typing at the same time!
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

It has neck bearing cups. Why would a NOS frame have cups? I can understand the lock. I'd like to see some larger pictures.
ingram
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

ingram wrote:
Bigincher wrote:Is that a 6 or an 8 in the date stamp on the top motor mount?
My eyes see a 6.... ?
Looks like a 6 to me also. L6...doesn't make sense.
I thought the number was suppose to come first (shouldn't it be 6L)
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Most frames were stamped month year like this one, a small minority were stamped year month.
Jerry
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

CaptMike wrote:It has neck bearing cups. Why would a NOS frame have cups? I can understand the lock. I'd like to see some larger pictures.
CaptMike!

An NOS '65 frame that I acquired in the very early 80s had cups, and the necklock keys wired to it.

Without very, very close scrutiny for fastener wear, it would be very hard to discern if this frame had ever been part of a machine.

....Cotten
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Yeah that frame is pretty much useless for a restoration and theres plenty of perfect swingarm frames around for less money.They dont seem to get as beat up as the rigids did.Ive had my hands on atleast 5 of them that looked brand new,but was never interested in swingarm pans.
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

Personally I would love to have that frame for my old mis-matched '61 Pan currently running in a early shovel frame...simply don't want to shell out that kind of $$$ for it as I just spent all my extra cash on a new HVAC system for the house. Wouldn't have to be NOS like that one, just straight & true. My bike is a rider after all, never gonna be judged by the AMCA. lol.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

From a while back I have a close-up of the additional ID on that frame and I’ve posted it below:
1966decemberabcn195864c.jpg
The round-top 3 and one of the characters I blacked out are consistent with examples I have of additional ID characters on other H-D frames.
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ingram
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

Hog54 wrote:Yeah that frame is pretty much useless for a restoration and theres plenty of perfect swingarm frames around for less money.They dont seem to get as beat up as the rigids did.Ive had my hands on atleast 5 of them that looked brand new,but was never interested in swingarm pans.
Please let me know next time you come across one. Thanks.

Return to “Frame / Transmission”