Case numbers question

Identification of case numbers and cylinder heads
jmotley

Case numbers question

Post by jmotley »

I am new here & have been bitten by the Panhead bug. My ride for many years was an '81 Sturgis that recently gave way to a low mileage Roadking...but I need a bike that needs me. Anyway, I am looking at a '53 Panhead project that is complete except flywheels. Bike has intact sheetmetal and just needs an engine rebuild as the previous owner disassembled it, did some of the work then lost interest. I have restored some British bikes, however on the case half numbers I am confused! I've identified the number stamped on the case as the title number, however one case number has a -58 suffix, the other a -55 suffix so obviously a mismatch, right? Both numbers have a five digit prefix. Otherwise all related parts look fine. How much of a deterrent in terms of value & desirability does non-matching numbers on an old Panhead represent?
Thanks!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Case numbers question

Post by Cotten »

JM!
It is within the realms of possibility that it is a legit replacement left, and the rightcase is of no legal consequence: OK for a 'runner'.

But odds are that the VIN is altered.

Either way, the motor is not investment material.
jmotley

Re: Case numbers question

Post by jmotley »

Thanks for your response! So the vin number with the -55 suffix and the -58 suffix should be a -53 for it to be investment grade? The numbers match is easier on the stuff from the sixties like those Triumphs. So in this instance the left case was cracked and replaced with the vin stamped on the replacement case? The illegitimate vin is obviously a deterrent and the asking price is not what I would call "runner." My search will have to continue. I know from past experience that buying one that is up & running from a collector is easiest but that is not as much fun!

Return to “Cases / Heads”