'48 Pan Engine Numbers - Help me break it down?

Identification of case numbers and cylinder heads

'48 Pan Engine Numbers - Help me break it down?

Post by Newbie »

Hello all: Was reading in palmers book that on '48 and up belly numbers should start with a 1 for 74" and a 2 for 61" followed by the year and then a 4 or 5 digit production code. Here is my dilemma, I looked at a '48 FL Engine with a 48FLXXXXX Vin #, however the left side belly number was 248-XXXX? Wouldn't this denote a 61" left side case according to the belly number? Also, the right side case belly number was missing. Looked like it had been blasted off. Case was in great shape just couldn't read numbers. What does this sound like and is it legit for the right side case not to have any numbers? Thanks again and I look forward to responses.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

By the strictest letter of the law ( in most states) any defaced or removed assigned number (VINs and production #s) is felonious. But it is entirely up to the inspector to do anything about it.

It is still possible that both were replacement cases, issued at different times. An un-matched right may never have been stamped in production.

Please look for a single digit stamped into the top of the rear motormount boss on each case.

The '48 right case was unique in that it still had the casting conformity of a Knuckle. Look for the un-drilled gallery that drained Knuck tappet blocks.

How about the left side belly number starting with 2

Post by Newbie »

Wouldn't that denote 61". This is what I can take from Palmers book. I thought that a 74" FL would have a belly number that started with 1 and then 48 for the year? This one had a 248. 2 for 61". I don't know I am confused. Thanks.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

It would indicate that the case was machined as an E, but does not mean that it was assigned to an E.

Again, please look for the digits on the rear motormount.

Thanks again Cotton, another question

Post by Newbie »

What digits am I looking for on the rear motormount? Are they on both cases? Also, are you saying that the factory might have had it designated for an E case and then went back and made it an F engine? Thanks again for your help. I am trying to learn and it's people like yourself that help the new generation get up to speed.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

You found nothing?

I didn't look there...

Post by Newbie »

I didn't look on the rear motormount and didn't know what digits to look for and how they corresponded to the belly numbers. I'm a little confused.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Perhaps you should overcome your anxiety and take a look.

And inspect your right case casting above the reat tappet block. Does it look like other Pans, or does it look like a knuckle?

Return to “Cases / Heads”