Matching # cases

I want to know if my cases are matching number cases.

Identification of case numbers and cylinder heads
Rainjester

Matching # cases

Post by Rainjester »

I've got a 1953 Panhead and I want to know if my cases are matching number cases. How do I determine this? I believe I look at the serial number that's on the left side case. Do I look on the right side case for the same number? Can someone enlighten me on the exact location of this number? Do I have to remove the bottom plate to see it?

Thanks!

jester-
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Matching # cases

Post by Cotten »

Jester!

Your production number on the belly of the cases should be higher than your VIN. The left is visible, but the right isn't so easy. Those are the ones that should match.

...Cotten
Rainjester

Post by Rainjester »

Cotten!

So in essence, you're saying the the VIN number is a different number that the belly numbers on both cases. Where are they located? Under the rock guard or near some other obvious component?

jester-
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

jester..the lower case numbers are located on the bottom outside edge near the front of the cases (just below where the front engine mounting bolts are located). These numbers normally consist of three numeric characters, a dash, and four (or five) numeric characters.

The first number is a code number which designates the associated model [1-10...from (1)... 61/74 E/EL and 74 FL FLH to (10)..utility car and golf cart].

The next two numbers indicate the year in which the engine case was produced at the HD factory. However, note that the number may be one year earlier than the number stamped on the engine boss (the opposite is not true). This is because the HD factory prestamped a supply of crankcases based on anticipated needs; if the entire supply was not met, the surplus would be used in the next successive year model.

The last four (or five) numbers are the sequential production numbers for the engine crankcase.

And one last thought...the above applies generally to the old bikes because in 1975 the Motor Company changed the numbering procedure on the lower crankcase numbers. The new procedure utilizes the Julian date (exception are the imported Italian models sold under under the HD name).
1 (model) 75 (year) 001 (Julian date) 001 (sequential unit produced that day)

Return to “Cases / Heads”