VIN numbers on STD cases

Identification of case numbers and cylinder heads
Ivanelofanich
Bikes: 1952 Panhead
KTM 990 Adventure

VIN numbers on STD cases

Post by Ivanelofanich »

Hi,

Finaly got my hands on nice 1952 Hydra Glide after years of looking.
Its not 100% HD but it runs and rides well and I'm very pleased.

The bike has STD cases fitted so VIN is non Harley.

Does anyone know a way that I could find the original factory VIN ?
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Re: VIN numbers on STD cases

Post by cdndewey »

I believe the only way would be to trace back all the previous owners and someone may either have a recollection or some paperwork pertaining to it. Good luck.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

The Vin is probably on somebody elses bike riding around or sitting in a junk pile somewhere because they were too bad to fix.Is the vin number on the title,or is it the STD numbers on it?
Ivanelofanich
KTM 990 Adventure

Post by Ivanelofanich »

STD number are used on tthe title, no mention of the original HD numbers.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Sorry, but with STD cases it will NEVER be a '52 Hydra-Glide, no matter how much it looks like one. It will merely be a representation of a '52. Essentially , the cases are the bike!
Robbie
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

ivan,

first, welcome to the forum.

unfortunately it is like bad news from the doctor. you have an STD. :shock:

there is really no way to trace anything because all the history is based on the original motor numbers (3).

please post some pics of your bike so we can all see!

john
Ivanelofanich
KTM 990 Adventure

Post by Ivanelofanich »

Sorry to hear I'm an outcast just because I have an STD !
I don't need the bike to 100% original to enjoy riding her but I do plan to return her to near originality in due course.
Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (54.41 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Looks nice, and a lot of fun :D

Enjoy...

George
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Ivanelofanich wrote:Sorry to hear I'm an outcast just because I have an STD !
I don't need the bike to 100% original to enjoy riding her but I do plan to return her to near originality in due course.

Find some 52 cases and it will be one.:)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Hog54 wrote: Find some 52 cases and it will be one.:)
...and well worth the investment in the long run.

But in the short run, enjoy it!

....Cotten
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

As long as you have a legal title, then ride and enjoy!

In the mean time, if you feel compelled, keep your eyes open for another bottom end.

What year is your frame? What about the cylinders and heads? You could try matching the motor to that, but you may be able to use others as well. Some of the other guys on this site would be better able to tell you which years you could use.
Lynrd
Bikes: 1949 FL

Post by Lynrd »

Nice looking bike, Ivan

You're not an outcast just because you have STD cases. It sort of depends what you want to do - if you want to compete in AMCA shows, well, you're out of luck. If you want to ride a panhead, you're in luck! You have one!! And while those 100 point AMCA bikes are beautiful, it's actually more fun to own a rider if you want to ride it a lot - keeping a 100 point bike 100 points AND riding it regularly is a exercise in cross purposes. As I've said before - I greatly respect the guys who do restoration, like Cotten, but restoration is NOT a requirement to having a great bike.

And good news, STD built really good stuff across the board. My 49 has HD cases, but STD heads. They work great and I 'm not out of the bucks to take a set of 49 heads back to servicable shape. Instead, I'm out the bucks to buy those STD heads, which was a quicker and surer route to my goal of building a rider.

Still, it might be worth the effort to start talking to former owners if you can find them. You likely will never find those original cases, but you may get the back story as to why the switch to STDs (Like, the original cases exploded on some tequila fueled evening...) I went through that trip with my current 49 and found the long term owner of the bike - he'd ridden it for 20+ years before he couldn't handle the kickstart anymore. He'd changed it to a shovel when the stock heads went away in the 70s (When it was just an old Harley), changing the oil pump and modding the cases for the outside oiler trip at the same time. The mods and some other things preclude my '49 from being a practical restoration candidate - and every one of them also make for a more road worthy bike...

Who knows? - you might be able to find out the original numbers. I highly doubt you'll be able to get the engine number changed on the title, and I doubt that doing so would change the value all that much - a bike with STD cases likely will have other stuff about it that would be "Incorrect" to someone looking for a restoration, and someone who isn't, well, it won't matter nearly as much.

But most important - That is a beautiful machine. Enjoy i!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Welcome Ivanelofanich!

What Steve means is how "52" is the rest of the machine, upon close inspection. After many years many parts may have been replaced.

If you truly want to jump off the cliff into a "restoration",..
instead of ratting it out mile by mile, or even fall somewhere in between,
then I suggest the reference of Palmer's "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson" (Motorbooks International), if you haven't a copy already.

Along with the MoCo Service Manual and Parts catalogs, it is essential.

....Cotten
Disclaimer: Neither my business nor myself is affiliated with Motorbooks International. But I did speak once with Mr. Palmer on the phone.
It was the first time anyone ever handed me a cell phone, and it was at the Davenport Meet.
I was challenged to use a cell phone again a couple of years later, again at the Davenport Meet. (I go no where else.)
I do not look forward to ever using such an etherial contraption ever again, but D-port is right around the corner again, Folks!
Last edited by Cotten on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynrd
Bikes: 1949 FL

Post by Lynrd »

I just looked back at the picture...if restoration is the goal, from one picture, I can see that it would need original ignition, carb and exhaust. With that ignition, bike would be 12V, so add generator, coil, batery, bulbs. Pipes. Handlebars, throttle. Tires. Possibly fuel tanks...hard to tell from that angle. Probably hundreds of $$ of "Correct" hardware as well.

All of which are easier to replace that the cases, true enough. The thing is, the same stuff I listed are all things that I would change to the current state if I want a rider. None of the stuff in the above list would make the bike faster or more reliable that what is currently on it. Same goes for the cases.

That bungie cord, though....that I would just replace with a stock return spring. It just looks better...

Man, it's a nice looking bike! My advice is to ride he carp out of i!
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

Sorry to hear I'm an outcast just because I have an STD !
ivan,

you are absolutely NOT an outcast! you have a bike you can truely enjoy by riding the wheels off of it. STD cases are strong and not prone to the porosity problems some harley cases have.

enjoy your bike as it is, if you ever wanted to go the original route you are about 90% there already!

again, welcome to the forum.

you'll fit right in...

john

Return to “Cases / Heads”