MOUNTING LEATHER BAGS

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
lrcormier
Bikes: HD 52 FL

MOUNTING LEATHER BAGS

Post by lrcormier »

I need to drill holes in my rear fender for mounting leather bags (original bags with four hole half moon 52 PAN), someone previously wrote in an old post "I measured from the hinged fender seam or edge, to the furthest back saddle bag hole, one inch. The bottom measurement, hole to lip of fender one and one eight inch." Can someone provide a little more detail, the furthest back saddle bag hole in on inch from seam edge, is that to the middle of the hole, and same question concerning the measurement to that hole from the bottom lip of fender. Also what size are the holes.
rear fender.jpg
rear fender.jpg (70.62 KiB) Viewed 708 times
george48pan
Bikes: 48 panhead

Re: MOUNTING LEATHER BAGS

Post by george48pan »

Personally, I would not drill any new holes. I don't have original bags or a stock bike. I have studs through my struts (swing arm) and a thin aluminum sheet sewn in the back of my bags. The bags are fastened with 3/8 stainless nylocks and a flat washer.
If you want to keep your bike original, wait for Rubone to respond or send a PM.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Center of hole................. :lol:
lrcormier wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:08 am I need to drill holes in my rear fender for mounting leather bags (original bags with four hole half moon 52 PAN), someone previously wrote in an old post "I measured from the hinged fender seam or edge, to the furthest back saddle bag hole, one inch. The bottom measurement, hole to lip of fender one and one eight inch." Can someone provide a little more detail, the furthest back saddle bag hole in on inch from seam edge, is that to the middle of the hole, and same question concerning the measurement to that hole from the bottom lip of fender. Also what size are the holes.

rear fender.jpg
lrcormier
Bikes: HD 52 FL

Post by lrcormier »

Thank you Budd...... center of hole it is. I'm sure that there is also some wiggle room anyhow, can't imagine that 1/4 inch up, down or over would make much difference, I'll be using these measurements in the near future to drill my holes prior to sending out for paint.

Return to “Accessories”