Name that cam?

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Lynrd
Bikes: 1949 FL

Name that cam?

Post by Lynrd »

Hi all, I just picked up a '49 FL basket - the bottom end at least. I have a shovel top end that may end up on it, but it looks like those heads have a trip to the machine shop in their future. Anyway, the bottom end was freshly buttoned up from a rebuild and I wanted to see what Cam was in the bike....if it has a "hot one" then I need to factor that when I am setting up the heads, obviously. I open the timing case, and find a cam with a green paint dot on the cog, and no manufacturers mark on either end. There is a "4" stamped on the side of the innermost lobe. Anyone have any idea who/where this can cane from?
Lynrd

Re: Name that cam?

Post by Lynrd »

IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg
Here are a couple pictures of this thing...maybe someone will recognize it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Lynyrd!

The H makes it look like an OEM Victory (FLH) cam to me,
you lucky dog.

The camera angle makes the duration look long, so please put it between centers and inspect each lobe lift for certainty.

Regrinds do exist.

....Cotten
PS: That assembly lube looks like Lubriplate, which ages poorly on the bench.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Is that a 4 or a poorly stamped H??
Lynrd

Post by Lynrd »

:!: :!: :!: Wow - thanks!

I just ran out to shop...grabbed the cam, took it into the sunlight...peered at the lobe, cursed my failing eyes, wiped it off, grabbed a magnifier...and yes, under close inspection, I can see the missing leg of the "H"...and it doesn't say "Andrews" on it anywhere (The Andrews "S" I ran in my old knuck had the name and grind stamped into the bearing boss on the end , I don't see that here)

Still, I guess it could be a Andrews "H" or a stock this Victory FLH cam of which you speak. Again, I'm running in a Shovel top, electronic ignition, modern carb bike - not a dragster but I want to be able to run with the guys on the Evos. Any thoughts there?
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

As Cotten said, it is a factory FLH cam.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Lynrd wrote::!: :!: :!: Wow - thanks!

I just ran out to shop...grabbed the cam, took it into the sunlight...peered at the lobe, cursed my failing eyes, wiped it off, grabbed a magnifier...and yes, under close inspection, I can see the missing leg of the "H"...and it doesn't say "Andrews" on it anywhere (The Andrews "S" I ran in my old knuck had the name and grind stamped into the bearing boss on the end , I don't see that here)

Still, I guess it could be a Andrews "H" or a stock this Victory FLH cam of which you speak. Again, I'm running in a Shovel top, electronic ignition, modern carb bike - not a dragster but I want to be able to run with the guys on the Evos. Any thoughts there?
Negative, I believe what you have is an H cam or Victory cam as Cotten suggests. An Andrews H cam would be clearly marked as such.

Lynrd

Post by Lynrd »

Got it, Thanks! That was what my Knuck's cam looked like (except an "S" rather than the "H"). OK, so the Cam is identified as a FLH or "Victory" cam, and from reading the forum, that looks like a good 'un for a 74" street bike. - I'll stay with it. The bottom end has Hydraulics in it as well, which from reading, need to stay in with this grind. Thanks for the help on this!
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Just curious, how do the surfaces of the lobes look?
Lynrd

Post by Lynrd »

They look OK, no appreciable wear that looks like the hard surface is going away - one bit of shiny on the innermost lobe. Here are some pictures...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

You lucky dog.

Tens of thousands of those were thrown in the trash.
(How ironic that a generation of enthusiasts would have such contempt for the very brain of the motors they were so proud to own.)

They are a little hard to kick though.

....Cotten
DaveSwanson
Bikes: 1936 VLH, 1936 VD, 1956 FLH, 1956 KHK,

Post by DaveSwanson »

Lynrd wrote: Again, I'm running in a Shovel top, electronic ignition, modern carb bike - not a dragster but I want to be able to run with the guys on the Evos. Any thoughts there?
Many Shovels have met their untimely death trying to run all day with Evos.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

DaveSwanson wrote: Many Shovels have met their untimely death trying to run all day with Evos.
That's why Panheads are better.

....Cotten
JOHNSON
Inactive member
Bikes: 50FL-59FLH

Post by JOHNSON »

hi,not sure if they harded the cam lobes in the day,mine was a bit worse,but i'd hand polished with scotch-brite,and cleaned it up on the lobes,it took some time,but i'm happy with it.the bushing ends were wore to a point were it was sloppy to the bushing,so i'd had to fit it by hand,no reamer,cottens advice using machistest knife,5th of whiskey,fitted perfect,if it was reamed,it been to loose.....with respect........JOHNSON
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If ya want to run with the Evos, ya might want to git yer hands on an Evo or Twin Cam....bosheff

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”