Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Cam selection??

Post by George Greer »

Hi all.

I am about to once again show my ignorance.

But here goes the question.

What would be a good cam to select that would allow me to have good performance throughout the engine's rpm range ... AND... have a engine that is easy to kick start? Using a S&S Super E carb....until I can find a Linkert.

I saw some threads on cam selection and the more I read, the more I am confusing myself.

Duration, overlap, lift.....ahhh.. so much to digest.

So, In a thousand words or less..............

Give me your experiences and advice.

Thanks.

George
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Cam selection??

Post by Bosheff »

If yer out for performance, regardless what cam ya choose, yer gonna pretty much defeat yer purpose by usin a Linkbelt vs. the S & S....bosheff
indianut
Bikes: American

Post by indianut »

FLH
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Bosheff wrote:If yer out for performance, regardless what cam ya choose, yer gonna pretty much defeat yer purpose by usin a Linkbelt vs. the S & S....bosheff
C'mon, Bosheff!

There are more ways to look at "performance" than WFO.

George wants "good performance throughout the engine's rpm range ... AND... have a engine that is easy to kick start..."

Any S&S should start one-kick as well, but the Linkert has an advantage of a smaller venturi, allowing more low-end torque and mid-range.
Getting around a parking lot without lungeing is "performance" too!

Top end is what a huge carb gives you. What a waste if you can't use it...
George! Will this machine see service on the Autobahn?

...Cotten
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I believe the Andrews J grind is as close to the old H grind (Victory) cam, or the old Sifton 412 cam, as you can find.
That's what I chose for my '52, but I have yet to run it.
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

It has been my experience that when somebody says "performance" they are talkin bout goin faster/quicker then the machine presently runs. Performance generally means "compromise", and I think we all understand what that's all about. Sure, you can cam it up, but what are ya givin up for the expected gain? Personally, the stock "H" or "Victory" cam is a very roadworthy piece but it does have its limitations as does any bumpstick. Linkerts and S&S's also have thier place, but personally I wouldn't run either of them. A pan is a pan and will never be anything but a pan. Ya can't have it all, and to git a gain somewhere ya usually end up givin it back somewhere else....bosheff
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

I don't intend to have a "hot-rod" engine.

And I did not intend for the word performance to mean......."go fast...stronger/better/quicker".

I mean, good all around running...thoughout the engines RPM range, that would be easy to kick start.

Be 57 in June, I don't have a "need for speed" anymore.........and when that urge does hit me, I get in the oleladys BMW.

I was looking at also a Rev-Tech 5 speed transmission to go along with this, one to one fourth gear, OD 5th. For good crusing on the autobahn (if the need arises), keeping the rpms down..........or, one of the Baker 6 speeds.

Cotten, yes...at times the bike may see autobahn service. But I am not like a lot of other bikers on the autobahn that runs WFO all the time........(and for a 58 FL engine, it probable will never see WFO). No need to run close to redline all the time. (see above).

George
Last edited by George Greer on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Bigincher wrote:I believe the Andrews J grind is as close to the old H grind (Victory) cam, or the old Sifton 412 cam, as you can find.
That's what I chose for my '52, but I have yet to run it.
You're gonna love it.... Easy starting hot or cold and good pull throughout the rpm ranges.
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Bosheff wrote:It has been my experience that when somebody says "performance" they are talkin bout goin faster/quicker then the machine presently runs. Performance generally means "compromise", and I think we all understand what that's all about. Sure, you can cam it up, but what are ya givin up for the expected gain? Personally, the stock "H" or "Victory" cam is a very roadworthy piece but it does have its limitations as does any bumpstick. Linkerts and S&S's also have thier place, but personally I wouldn't run either of them. A pan is a pan and will never be anything but a pan. Ya can't have it all, and to git a gain somewhere ya usually end up givin it back somewhere else....bosheff
What don't you like about the Linkert? What do you like?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

George!

I would shy away from Rev-Tech anything.

....Cotten
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

I agree with Cotton bout stayin away from anything RevTech. Imported junk in my opinion. As far a the 5 speed with a 1:1 high gear, what is the advantage of this mixer? Yer still 1:1 in high, so yer not droppin yer R's at all at higher speeds. All yer doin is gettin another gear in the middle, which is geat for tourin, but doesn't do anything for ya on the long end (droppin RPM's). If yer lookin for for a decent all around runnin Pan in more or less stock form, go with the "H" cam and the Linkert. I think the reason most guys have problems with Linkerts is because the carb is not "right" to begin with, meaning some joker has done a "Reno" overhaul or a half-ass rebuild on em. Cotton is the man on the Linkerts. Myself, I prefer an S.U....bosheff
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Cotten..

Understood.

Bosheff.....I mentioned the trannie was 1 to 1 in fourth gear, over drive it 5th....I think that it was .83

But mute now, as I will heed you guys advice, concerning Revtech.

Now, what about Baker??

The cam, I will use the advice already given.

Carb, well...for now I have the Super E that was given to me.......(I like free).

Once I actualy take posession of the engine in April, I will begin to see how it is, and what shape the internals are in.

Thanks,

And to quote Arnold...........I'll be back.

George
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

I guess I misunderstood on the 5 speed bein an overdrive. My apologies. I'm a firm believer in runnin what ya got, ya just gotta remember that all parts are not designed/enginnered to do all things well. When startin fresh and yer gonna spend the long green on a bunch of parts, then you can purchase parts that work well with each other with a desired goal on what you want the engine to do well. One or two pieces at a time just keep in mind what yer workin towards. Good luck....bosheff

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”