removing gearcase cover.

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

removing gearcase cover.

Post by panwars »

Hey everybody,

I could not find an answer for this in the knowledge base.

Do I have to unload the cam (pusrods) to pull the cover?

I have had it on and off several times lately redoing the pinion gear and oil pump gears, (tappet blocks removed), and now the latest new gasket is leaking at the bottom.

I was going to have the rear cylinder valves closed so the load on the cam would be from the front. That should load it against the breather gear and pinion. Anybody tried this? I sure don't want to pull the pushrod tubes again as they are not leaking at all now. Nothing is but this stupid cover gasket for no reason that I know of. The previous ones didn't leak and I know I didn't mar the surfaces.

So... to repeat...does the cam absolutely need to be unloaded for gear case cover removal?

Thanks,

Scott
P.S. Got this thing going, it is now 84", what fun. Still in break-in mode. Got the velva touch lifters, have never heard a quieter pan before, really nice. Also learned about shovel oil pump gears (73 up), from Vern Ott. The driven gear has one less tooth, pinion is a little larger. Spins up a little faster and guess what? More pressure & more flow at lower RPM on stock cast pump. Now for that last pesky oil leak...
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Re: removing gearcase cover.

Post by james »

I would definately take the push rod pressure off the cam and make both mating surfaces clean and dry before installing new gasket and gear cover. I also use a very light coat of Honda bond with a small paint brush on the case side and the gear cover along with the gasket, use blue lock-tite on all the screws and tighten accordingly. Let it sit for 24 hours before starting engine.
Clean and dry is key
jim
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

I have had very good results from the james gasket with the raised sealer band on it.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Pulled my cover 2x over the years, both w/o unloading the pushrods. Just have to be careful to make sure cam does not come out w/ it.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”