Timing gears question

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Timing gears question

Post by doc308 »

I just removed the timing cover from my '48 pan engine and noticed that the timing mark on the circuit breaker gear was off about 3 or 4 teeth. All of the other marks on the cam gear, idler gear, etc were all lined up properly. The bike started and ran ran pretty well. What is the impact of having this gear off to this extent?

I'm assuming that I'll have to remove the gear to line its marks up. In doing so, will this them throw off the distributer timing? Also, how does this gear come off?

Finally, in setting up the timing on this engine, do I start with lining up the flywheel mark at the rear of the timing hole and then work on the gears' alignment? Right now, when the flywhell mark is at the rear of the hole, the timing marks on the timing gears are all over the place.

I've attempted to attach apic of my timing gears. I marked the timing marks with a dab of white-out. Sorry for the quality of the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Re: Timing gears question

Post by LittleAl »

I was in mine recently and I'm not that smart but I'll take a stab at this until the smart guys jump in:

there should be another mark on the cam gear. one matches up with the crank gear, the other with the breather gear.
the same for the crank and the timer/middle gear. they should have timing marks too that line up.

some of those marks are small and easily missed, but they should be there. below is a picture of mine with whiteout on ALL the timing marks.

That being said the timer position is a function of relative position. in other words, if the piston & valves are in the correct position and the timer cam is in the correct position to be approximately opening the points when the timer is installed the timer gear could be technically not in the right position but still open the points to fire the coil at the right time. again it's all relative. As long as the cam and crank gears are timed right the timer gear is really irrelevant. even if it's "off" if the front cylinder is near the top of it's compression stroke and then the timer is installed with the small lobe ending up near opening the points the motor will still start and run.

While you have it open you should pull the timer and get it set up right now, it will, without a doubt, save you cursing at yourself sometime in the future!

I hope that made sense but probably not! lol
IMG_2183.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Re: Timing gears question

Post by doc308 »

Thank you, Al--that makes sense.

Now--could someone on the forum give a step-by-step instruction on how to set the preliminary timing---including aligning the timing gears, the the fywheel timing mark, the distributer, and the postion of the pistons . The engine is on the bench and the heads are off . I've never done this before and would really appreciate the guidance of someone in the know.

Thanks.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”