Best available cam for a 74"

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
okonogan

Best available cam for a 74"

Post by okonogan »

What is the best available cam for a 74" Pan? I'm running what is basically a stock 50FL: Linkert Carb with O-ring manifold, stock sized intake and exhaust valves but converted to 12volt and with solid lifters. I am mainly a touring rider. I remember reading that a Sifton 412 was the best but I'm told they are no longer available. I see in the J+P vintage catalogue a "Sifton Cam and pinion gear combination" listed. Has anybody used this set-up?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Best available cam for 74

Post by panhead »

Check the knowledge base; http://www.hydra-glide.com/scripts/toc5.php

You will find a lot of information w.r.t. cams
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Okonogan

For sure check the Knowledge Base there is a lot of good info there. My experience is limited, but in my 51FL I am running an Andrews #1 which is the low compression equalivent of the A. My reason for choosing this one is it has the profile I was looking for and not too much lift. If you go much over a 0.450 lift you start to get interferences with the innards in the cam chest.

After installation I was quite happy with the performance. The old dear had a lot more punch in the low and mid range and seemed to run a lot smoother in the 2400-2800 rpm range. Idle was a bit of a problem but if I set it at about 1100 rpm it’s fine.

The one problem (you having a 50) with switching to any cam marketed for Pans is that the journal that goes in the bushing in the block is made to fit the 57 and later needle bearing bushing (don’t believe the “fits 48-65” BS in the adds or on the box). Thus the journal is about 0.002 too fat to fit in the stock item. I solved the problem by turning off the 0.002 on the cam journal and it fit fine. If your motor is disassembled I would go for honing out the bushing. You can also replace the existing solid bronze bushing with the later needle bearing one, but in my opinion that is just putting another grenade in the motor. Also to get around the gear lash problem with the pinion gear I pressed off the cam gear from my stock cam and pressed it on the new one. BTW the journal for the cam chest cover fits fine with no mods.

The sad news about Sifton is that since Tom’s death the name has passed on to another firm and the reports on this forum indicate that the quality is not as it was. But if you can find an original 412 go for it, by all accounts they were the best option.

Good luck

King
wreck74
Inactive member

Post by wreck74 »

I run a Andrews J grind cam with JIMS solid lifters and the S&S super E carb, 74" with standard pistons. runs good, lots of power. starts easy. the front intake is a little tricky to adjust, theres a low spot right before the ramp. (just before the valve starts to open) had the same problem with two new cams. other than that it's a good cam for the stock panhead. just my 2 sense.
okonogan

Post by okonogan »

Hi King and Wreck 74: Thanks for your replies and info. I luckily know an engine builder who has been at it for 40yr and has accumulated a lot of old parts. His price on used cams is $40.00; I think he'll be able to supply something.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”