Crane cam

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Crane cam

Post by weezeo »

Description: I have a Crane Fireball 296A that I wanted to stick in my 56 FLH

I have a Crane Fireball 296A that I wanted to stick in my 56 FLH. I am running an Andrews A grind and have been for over a dozen years. What I was hoping somebody here can tell me if I am going to have a problem with gear lash or spring problem? The specs are 479 / 296 Is it Ok with the way its setup for the A grind? Hope I'm giving the right info ??? Don't know machine shop lingo or terminology thanks all :Smile
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: Crane cam

Post by King »

Hi Weezeo

Pull up the Crane Cams website and drill down to the spec sheet for the FB296A. There you will note thart some spring seat machining is required. Also as the lift is over .450 there most likley will be clearance problems between the outside lobe and the intermediate gear on the circuit breaker gear train. But since you are running an A cam the gear may already have been shaved for clearance. There also could be a problem with the inside lobe clearing the case.
Also Crane cams ONLY fit the 57 and later needle bearing "bushing" (the one in the case). So you may have to have your current bronze one changed out. BTW an old timer told me the bronze ones will outlast
the needles two to one.
The best advice is to contact Crane on their tech line 386-258-6174. They are both friendly and very helpful.
Speaking of cams. Has anyone tried an Andrews #1 grind. It is reportedly "the low compression version of the A". I'm sort of leaning towards installing one in my 51 FL but am having trouble getting info on their performance and possible installation hassles.

Thanks

King
relic
Inactive member

Post by relic »

I tried Andrews#2 last summer.Probably more allaround torque than with Sifton412 wich I have before.I swapped sifton back after
one valve spring collapsed(to three pieces).0.512 is pretty much lift for old pan.#1 is milder but stronger springs are still recommended?
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

Hey Thanks Guys......I am running an aftermarket Cam Cover w/ bearing in But I wasn't sure bout the specs for the A grind and have the ones here for the Crane I think I will give Crane a call. I think the heads are OK but wasn't sure on the itermediary gear. Thanks again anyone have the spec's handy for the Andrews A grind, also why do they say Hydraulic's only with the Crane Cam???
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Weezeo

Here are the specs for the Andrews A in a Pan: Lift 0.470, Intake 21/43 Duration 244, Exhaust 43/21 Duration 244.

Relic

Thanks for the info on the #2 grind.

King
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

Hey thanks everyone I see that there is a little difference in Lift and a bit in the duration, I am going to stay with the Andrews for a awhile, I had aquired the Crane in a swap and it was brand new So i guess it will stay on the shelf "anyone need a new cam??? Oh yea I just put a post up on a lifter base it needs some honing out I had just replaced the base, one screw hole had broke off at the tip as they always do when they are approaching 50 yrs old thanks if anyone can help me there. Again thanks for the info on the cam spec's.
I am putting my PAN back on the road and will be posting my progress, just got the sheet metal back from the paint shop, Gunmetal pearl, Dupont Poly Its a beautyful color.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”