Gear Mesh Problem?

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Gear Mesh Problem?

Post by King »

Hi All

Recently while changing oil I found a few flakes of metal (steel) in the chamber of my oil filter. As I have been experiencing a gear lash type noise I pulled my gear chest cover to have a look for any more metal frags or wear and to check the alignment of the gears. I found no more metal frags, the oil was clean, and no wear was noted in the gear train. But I noticed the idler gear (large intermediate gear) does not mesh 100% with either of its mates; the generator drive gear or the intermediate gear that drives the timer. The large intermediate gear is about 1/16" too far out with the other two gears recessed relative to it. See photo in the Gallery which is a bit vague but you can see the problem.

Is this normal or is some adjustment required to achieve a total mesh.

Thanks

King
Gear Mesh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

King
My 65 is on the bench stand and it has about a 1/32 or a little more sticking out and my other Pan if memory serves me ,looks like yours( I would take a photo ,but my daughter has it out of town ). I would inspect the back side of the gears and case to see if all is good back there while you have it apart . There are specs on the side play on the gears. The bushings on the gears have specs too . I got a set of replacement bushings and they were sloppier than the ones on the gears , so I left them alone. If set up too tight or too sloppy you could get noise. is it the first time you had metal filings in the filter assem. ?
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

end play is from .003-.007

mbskeam
jlaley
Bikes: 2004 FLHRSI
1954 FL

Post by jlaley »

I looked at mine that's on the stand and mine is perfectly flush with the other gears. Mine is supposed to have a split lock ring that holds the gear onto the post. It wasn't there and I'm waiting for them to come in the mail. If you don't have that ring maybe your is just pushed out and being held there by the circuit breaker gear. I'm going to attach a pic of mine hopefully. Here goes. Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”