Cam bushing reamer

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Cam bushing reamer

Post by Rammy »

Any body know where to get a cam bushing reamer? Jims has discontinued there`s. can`t seem to find the 48-69 one.
Thanks
panache

Re: Cam bushing reamer

Post by panache »

The ones listed at the top of the following page don't look to be the Jims reamers (those are listed at the bottom)... At those prices, it might be worth trying to see if you can borrow one for a day.

http://masclassics.com/vt2/1311.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

Jims make the reamer in VTwin. VTwinn said it was back ordered. I called Jims they said it was discontinued.
Anybody have one for rent ;D maybe.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

This isn't a priceless one-time-piece, it's a reamer. They make hundreds of thousands every day. Mic up the size you need to get to and go to a machine tool suppy house and buy a reamer. It will cost you only a few bucks. You will need to mic it up for size anyway, you just can't plunge a reamer through anything without checking it first and then mic-ing the reamer itself. This isn't too hard.
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

What tool house would you suggest? I have no clue where to call.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Rammy!

Wouldn't it be more timely to just scrape the bushing?
Scraping nearly always gives a better result than reaming anyway.
And a machinist's scraper is only $1.85!
(from MSC Industrial)

.....Cotten
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

When you push a new cam bushing in how much undersize is the bore anyway, I haven't got my new bushings in to measure yet? I would scrap to fit if it`s not too much ....
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

I might be off base here, but my understanding is that the cam bushings must be "line reamed" with the cam cover bolted to the case. This assures proper alignment between the case and the cam cover bushings. Am I thinking about something else? How would you scrap the bushing?

Kent
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Reamers are great when:
Your cam journals are not worn,
The bushings are sufficiently undersized,
The pilots fit the opposite bushing appropriately,

and

There is already reasonable alignment. (Only the outboard bushing can be corrected to the inner, as the outer is "blind)
Reamers make it a fast operation, and almost idiotproof. The skill factor is minimal, whereas inking-and-scraping requires patience, attention to detail, and lots of time.
Reamers invariably flex away from highspots, such as the pucker from the dowel pin. (Which should be scraped prior to reaming anyway.) Thus the hole is often hogged slightly larger than ideal, and correction of the centerline next to nil.
Scraping removes only where there is interference, if you are observant.
Most commercial bushings are offered "pre-fit", meaning they are usually perfect until you press them in, then they squeeze tight slightly, often in spots. Often this bulge is less than even a sharp reamer wants to cut nicely. Instead it skids and burnishes the surface.
If I weren't spending so much time shovelling the roof, I would post pics of my piloted reamer, which uses an old cam cover that has been perforated so that the inboard bushing can be reamed form that direction.
But frankly, I haven't bothered with it for years. I like a crosshatch to spread lube anyway.
If your bushings require a correction of alignment, you might as well clamp it down on the Bridgeport.
More when I can,

....Cotten
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

Thanks Cotton , All this is a great help and I understand what you are talking about . The bushing setup in these old pans must be a good design because my bushings have never been changed that I can tell in 55 years and many miles. I wonder why HD used needle bearings only on the inner bearing on later motors and not on both in and out?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Rammy!

My opinion is that needlebearings were little more than a cost-cutting production decision, inspite of it producing a shorter-lived assembly.
They eliminated machining steps, and the need for skilled labor.
Putting a needlebearing outboard would cost extra thrustwashers , which is something that "beancounters" in the engineering department would have avoided. Note also that the oil hole would have to be relocated to a difficult position

....Cotten
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

I put my new inner bushing in today , no sweet , went in nice .00075 over sized from the bore in the case. cam goes in 3/4 of the way as is . As soon as my three sided machine scraper gets here I can custom detail that bushing just like you say Cotton! Not much fuss....This thing is all together in the bike too.
wreck

Post by wreck »

well, how did it turn out ??
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

In the meantime, here is the photo I promised:

Inking and scraping still works better.

...Cotten
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

Well my cam bushings turned out well. Only a little scarping and honing with a wheel cyl hone to get shaft to fit good. A little hairy getting the little pins in to keep them from turning......the gears are quieter now.
Rammy

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”