EARLY PAN REAMERS

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
upjohn
Bikes: 56pan, 97 evo

EARLY PAN REAMERS

Post by upjohn »

Can anyone tell me what size reamer to use for 36-69 pan using old H cam? Gear case and cover.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: EARLY PAN REAMERS

Post by 58flh »

After new bushings are installed--(pinned & drilled correctly for oil-passage)--This is for case & cover cam bushings!---Install the cover & put a few bolts in it to hold it secure!--Like 6 to 8.---Now I looked in the data-base & it shows Part #s for Reamers to be used for CAM-BUSHINGS!--(#12134-36 & #12132-36).--Start on case side & ream to cover untill it bottoms out lightly!---On another note --(I always mic. the camshaft ends & Mic. the reamer!)--You want a fit of .001 to .0015!---So if your putting in a used cam,--Thats why you should always mic. BOTH!--The cam may be worn some & you can end-up with a LOOSE FITTING CAM!---So You will have to use the correct REAMER for a GOOD fit!---Remember those #s for the REAMERS are for a stock cam!--Most new cams have larger bering surface area!, So MIC. ing of ALL PARTS is CRITICAL!,--YOU can always chuck-up a new cam in a lathe & turn it down to stock size!--Then the REAMER#s I gave you will work.--Just my 2 on my EXP. in doing this operation on motors!---There are others HERE that are VERY good MACHINISTS & Im sure they will chime-in & lend a hand!--GOOD-LUCK!---RICHIE 8)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Upjohn!

Please try typing cam cover cam bushing reamer into the search function.
(Cut'n'paste doesn't seem to work for me either, as I just get the search string...)

Since that discussion, I have discovered that "dry-erase" markers are fantastic for indicating interferences.

....Cotten
upjohn

Post by upjohn »

I have searched and searched for Pan reamer 36-61. The only thing I found was a Jims pilot plate that bolted to the gear case to ream the gear case bushing. Came with the reamer. Cost was 274.00,but it had already been sold. Seller can't get any more. No longer listed in Jims catalogue. "I just want to know the correct size reamer". I can have the correct size pilots made. The number on Jims was 1721 with a 7 and a 1 on each side of a little american flag.
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Upjohn,
I have a cam bushing reamer that I purchased from CHADWICK&TREFETHEN . it came without the pilot. The part # is hd. HD1082 SOLID REAMER 50820. The size is .812" . I used a spare case half that I have for reaming.
Suerte ,
Arnulfo
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Upjohn,
I have a cam bushing reamer that I purchased from CHADWICK&TREFETHEN . it came without the pilot. The part # is hd. HD1082 SOLID REAMER 50820. The size is .812" . I used a spare case half that I have for reaming.
Suerte ,
Arnulfo
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Using a random case for a fixture is only going to help keep the reamer parallel to the original camshaft axis.
Using the actual right case half insures concentricity.
Needless to say, there is no reamer for the 1958-* case bearing.
upjohn

Post by upjohn »

Thanks to all who have replied. I emailed Chadwick for a price but have not heard from them yet. I will use my own right case to ream the cam cover, and i will have a pilot mades if need be for the gear case cover. This is not going to be for bearings. Have come into possesion of a good H flh cam that I want to use. I also have an original 112. Not a Teds.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”