Crank oil seal leaking

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
baz
Inactive member

Crank oil seal leaking

Post by baz »

Hi can any body help
I have a 1950 pan with Timken bearings, and open Primary.

now it's leaking a lot of oil,
I removed the front pulley, looked at the Crank pin and it's not in the middle of the seal, hence oil leaking.
some thing not running true, can the bearing be removed with out splitting the Engine.

Help Baz :|
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Re: Crank oil seal leaking

Post by Panhead Ed »

Good morning ... your looking at the sprocket shaft not the crank pin.... and no brg can not be removed from the outside , cases will need to be split . Sounds like excessive run out on the shaft , flywheels should be put back on the stand and check for proper measurements... Sorry but have a great day. Ed
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

A '50 Pan with Timkens? Do you have aftermarket cases, modified originals, or a number job?
If the engine is sumping it will fill up with oil and push it out the breather and possible the mainshaft. If the oiling system is working properly virtually no oil is present at that seal area and leakage is very uncommon. I would look at the oiling system before doing anything else.
Robbie
baz
Inactive member

Post by baz »

RUBONE wrote:A '50 Pan with Timkens? Do you have aftermarket cases, modified originals, or a number job?
If the engine is sumping it will fill up with oil and push it out the breather and possible the mainshaft. If the oiling system is working properly virtually no oil is present at that seal area and leakage is very uncommon. I would look at the oiling system before doing anything else.
Robbie
Hi Robbie
No I have Modified org cases
I have turned off the oiler to the primery, I ran the Engine last night and checked the return into a jug, it looked ok
Breather looks ok no oil blowing out.
It's a s&s oil pump
I ran the bike for about 2years all ok, rebored it plus valves, and had nothing but trouble since,
Not to many pans in the uk, So it's hard to find info.
howmuch oil should it return per/what ever.
is it worth taking the pump off, to check for a restriction.
Barry
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

Maybe just too much oil. Period. I always put one quart low to start with, and then fill to proper level. Some weights of oil, along with the filter restriction can cause too much pressure. With the S&S you need to check the installation, to see if the proper mods were made. Also, I have an S&S in my Shovel. Nice part, but absolutely not needed for most motors. More pressure than stock. And yes, there is oil, and plenty of it going through the cases, and lower bearings. Seems to keep the motor from destructing. No info in the UK? Seems to me some of the people there have a LOT of know how for American bikes. I dig the stuff they do!
Mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Baz!

Since we assume your cases have been custom-machined for some sort of Timken update, you must deal with the short-sightedness of whomever thought it was a good idea.
If a Timken-supported mainshaft is visibly off-center within whatever sort of seal was chosen, something went wrong.

If you had chosen a chain instead of a belt, minor leakage would not be such an issue.

Did the machine ever run cleanly?
If the mess is sudden after a period of storage, then it may only be a sumping problem, where oil seeps past the ball check within the pump to fill the cases.

One solution is to ride it at least once a week.

....Cotten
baz
Inactive member

Post by baz »

Many thanks for your help guys
I have a lot to think about

Many thanks Baz

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”