I think I've got a Shovel crank in my Pan...

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
64FLH
Bikes: 1964 FLH

I think I've got a Shovel crank in my Pan...

Post by 64FLH »

I've always had a bit of a problem getting the tin primary cover to fit with a compensator. The sprocket shaft seemed a bit too long -- 1/4" to be exact. I think I've got a Shovel crank in my Pan -- or at least a crank of the wrong year... Other than the need to shim the primary cover outwards and the headaches getting the primary chain to line up, I haven't had any problem with the engine bottom end. Yet. But, I'm beginning to think that the guy who worked on my Pan (before I got it) used whatever he already had or could get cheap. Since my trans had a "wobbly" mainshaft in it (my guess is that it was bent -- then bent "back" -- it looked like it was roasted with a torch), I'm beginning to think that I should take the engine out and have a peek inside. I figure that's the only way to figure out what's in it... Suggestions?

Thanks!
kickinon
Bikes: 1950 panhead
1956 panhead
1942 wla

Re: I think I've got a Shovel crank in my Pan...

Post by kickinon »

at a guess id say yours has a longer sprocket shaft, without looking it up l think they came in 3 differant lenths to suit early and later model pans/shov, its no big deal wont hurt, but if you do pull it down you will be able to check the numbers on the flywheels to see what they are from..
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

The length difference between the 1955-64 shaft and 1965-69 shaft is 1/4".
Throw away your primary chain.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If ya do indeed have a longer sprocket shaft than is called for in a stock application, AND yer gonna replace the mainshaft, go with the mainshaft that mates properly with the sprocket shaft. If you go with the 65-69 or the 70 and later mainshaft in yer mixer yer gonna need to run a bearing support on the mainshaft. Less work to replace a m.s. in the trans than replace a motor sprocket shaft in the mill. Shim primaries accordingly and primary chain or belt should be reasonably close when it comes to lining up....bosheff
64FLH

Post by 64FLH »

Kickinon, Kitabel, Boesheff,

thanks a lot for the replies! Yeah -- I'll toss the primary chain. Even when I could get it lined up I never could keep it from flapping at certain RPM's... I'm changing out the tranny mainshaft. I think I'll also either change the sprocket shaft on the flywheel (whatever's in it) to stock length for '64 or buy a complete flywheel assembly. If the flywheel in my Pan was rebuilt with an impact wrench and beaten with a hammer (highly likely) -- I think I'll be better off with a properly rebuilt factory or new (T&O) flywheel assembly... My Pan is getting to be 50 years old! I think she deserves it.
64FLH

Post by 64FLH »

Well, after taking the compensator off the engine, I measured the sprocket shaft. Then I measured it again. And yet again, with lots of head scratching inbetween. Damnit. The sprocket shaft SPACER was too long. The sprocket shaft was fine. I think this qualifies as a "senior moment". Getting more of these -- not getting any younger. At least I didn't have to heat up the damned spacer to get it off the sprocket shaft but I did have to yell at it a bit...

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”