Flywheels

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Hubbard
Bikes: 54 FLE, 49FL ,27JD,74FX all customs

Flywheels

Post by Hubbard »

Does anybody have any info. on how the factory balanced flywheels?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Flywheels

Post by Cotten »

Hubbard wrote:Does anybody have any info. on how the factory balanced flywheels?
Hubbard!

I do not.

But I am about to back-calculate the factor on a relatively un-molested '55.
It will be pretty ironic if the factor matches the year!

...Cotten
Hubbard
Bikes: 54 FLE, 49FL ,27JD,74FX all customs

Post by Hubbard »

Have you ever read the Q&A book? Theres a recipe in there that tells if the front piston and all its parts are left off and the wheels will balance on parallels it's good. Ever checked that?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Hubbard wrote:Have you ever read the Q&A book? Theres a recipe in there that tells if the front piston and all its parts are left off and the wheels will balance on parallels it's good. Ever checked that?
Hubbard!

There are many old recipes, and various approaches.

The front piston-only method was borrowed from the Indian WW2 military manual. It normally produced a factor of 64 or 65%, on Indian wheels.
It would be interesting to calculate it for an H-D, and I wonder why I never did.

Some discussion of this can be found at http://virtualindian.org/http://virtual ... ywheel.htm

That's awful high of a factor for a Milwaukee Big Twin, and extremely high for a 45" or a VL. Balancing is all about choosing a factor that the motor will like. (The rider isn't part of the equation.)

Unless you are building from scratch, installing a huge over-bore, flipping for forged pistons, or gawd-forbid altered your frame mounts, it is my opinion that re-balancing is often flatulating in a hailstorm. And maybe even in those circumstances.

But we all do it!

....Cotten

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”