tappet rollers R&R

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
JR JOHNSON
Bikes: 1941wla,1946el,1947fl,1950fl,1959flh,1972flh,4 twinkies,1 evo

tappet rollers R&R

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi, I'm replacing the tappet rollers on my 59,I've done them before with punches,ball peen hammers ect, never had a prob with it, but just seeing if other peoples ways are better than mine. I'd try a search for this on this site,but nothing on installing tappet rollers,if there is ,please direct me to it........thanks.......with respect....JR
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: tappet rollers R&R

Post by NightShift »

Dear JR,
I use a thingy like in the front of the picture
TPPTTOOL.jpg
to hold the tappet to drill out its rivet with something good like a carbide spade drill to where it JUST touches the tappet no more.
Then I do the other side.
Then I use the other thingy for an anvil to punch out the rivet without getting hurt. Thats harder than you thought when your thumb gets a blood blister.

Now you got to put a roller back in it and smash the ends of the rivet.

R'spectfully,

PS: It would have had a better photo background ifn the Bossman hadn't snuck in and stole back my bedspread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Shifty,
That's a "thingy" if I ever saw one. What is that white powdery stuff in the picture? Looks suspicious! :shock:

I have a different kind of thingy, it is an all-in-one kind of thing. The roll pins in the ends help position in the vice, the machined recesses hold the tappet in line with the drill bit guide. The center section with the ball bearings peens and sets the ends of the new pin. Kinda slick but don't ask me where I got it, I've slept (a lot) since then.

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

That "white stuff" is an absorbent Shifty spreads out to catch any oil that leaks out of his lifters...also he packs his thumb in it after he smacks it with the hammer. :lol:

Beach mat on snow....just looks kinda not right me...

Aloha....Mike
JR JOHNSON

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi, thanks nightshift,good idea, mike,with your thingy,do you put the tool in a vice to peen the roller pin in,or do you hit it with a hammer?thanks for the info.......with respect.....JR
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Jr
I guess you could whack your thingy with a hammer, but I usually put it in the shop press.

But all the same rules apply: with enough pressure you can ruin anything! :wink:

mike
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Jr,
I use a wide point punch to spread both sides of the rivet first but two ball bearings in a vise is fine. Then I peen them on a good anvil and put a stake acrossed them if theres a groove for it. The hard part is getting the same amount to stick out on both sides.

R'spectfully,
JR JOHNSON

Post by JR JOHNSON »

hi,thanks for the info ,nightshift,mike.that help me a bunch.........with respect......JR

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”