oil leak froms sprocket shaft side of cases

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

oil leak froms sprocket shaft side of cases

Post by socalrider »

greetings everyone,
i had my 65 panhead rebuilt top and bottom about a year ago. since then its been sitting on a bench waiting for me to put my 65 back together. yesterday, i rigged up a container with 2 hoses coming out the bottom to the oil pump feed and return. i put about 1 1/2 - 2 qrts. of oil in the can and manually rotated the engine from the sprocket shaft in a clockwise direction until i had oil coming back into the container through the return. this morning i noticed oil coming out of the sprocket shaft side . looking at the manual i dont see any type of seal on that side that would prevent oil from seeping through there.my thoughts are; 1) i have the return line rigged up to the bottom of the container thereby causing a constant feed of oil to the crankcase, which leads me to # 2) theres too much oil in the crankcase. am i right ? i dont want to go to the builder with a complaint about something not being right until im sure about it.im going to drain,the crank case and see how much oil comes out . what the maximum amount of oil that the crankcase normally holds when the motor is at rest?
all help is very much appreciated!
gracias,
arnulfo
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: oil leak froms sprocket shaft side of cases

Post by steinauge »

Shouldnt be more than 7-8 oz in the case.sounds like your feed check ball isnt seating,try cleaning the seat area out thoroughly and install a new ball and spring.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

A 65 engine uses a screw in oil seal for the motor sprocket shaft. Yours should have one. If you don't have this seal installed you should be able to see the threads if you look closely. By rotating the sprocket shaft in a clockwise direction, you are in effect running the engine backwards. This in and of itself should not be the reason the cases seem to be filling up with motor oil in my opinion, but I may be wrong. As Steinauge said, it is probably a ball, seat, spring issue. I don't know if the pump would actually scavenge while running backwards, but I also cannot say for sure if it would feed either. Could this possibly be why the crancases are filling up with oil and not returning to the makeshift oil tank? Would appreciate someone more knowledgeable than myself chiming in....bosheff
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I would say turn the motor in the normal rotation if you want normal oiling,...Mike
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Thanks for all the responses guys. I mistakenly stated " clockwise" when i should have stated "counter clockwise". I drained the oil out the crankcase and got about a quart out.rotated the engine again with less oil in my rigged up container,so far no oil leak.being i had the retun line rigged on the bottom of the container next to the supply,i think that caused all the oil to drain into the crankcase and overfilling it

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”