Engine Sprocket Seal

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Engine Sprocket Seal

Post by mcraeav »

There seems to be too much oil leaking out of my engine sprocket seal. I noticed different brands for sale and .0020 under and over for a 62 FLH. Is this something I can replace without spliting the cases and where should I get one?
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: Engine Sprocket Seal

Post by NightShift »

Dear Mcraeav,
They didn't put sprocket seals on '62s.

Dont know what an oversized one could mean.

Oil only comes out in gushes when you start up a sumped motor. A mist is the way its sposed to be.
Either ride all the time, or dress your oilpumps ballcheck.

But if you got a belt you gotta rip everything out and use a Colony seal and drain it when it sits anyway.

'Spectful,
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

As far as I know they still used the oil slinger on the inside of the case to keep the oil away from the shaft and didn't use a seal. If you are getting a lot of oil you may have a lot of wear on the shaft but you still should not have that much. If your oil pump is allowing oil to sump into the cases you are probably getting it on start up before it can be scavenged back out. There are some after market seals made but I believe the case needs to be machined for them. The .0020 over or under is most likely allowing for shaft wear. Sorry I'm not familiar with any of them and don't know the specifics. But the bottom line here is there isn't supposed to be that much oil in the cases so you need to check why its there to begin with.
rbackpage
Bikes: 1965 FLH 2005 FLHRI

Post by rbackpage »

check out jp vintage catalog part #600-130 or600-129. oem 24031-55 a must for belts.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Sumping is only a messy inconvenience, unless you have the belt seal installed.

Then sumping can be a very real problem: Hard starting, fouled plugs, and blown base gaskets are a few of the symptoms.

....Cotten
mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Post by mcraeav »

So do I have it right; the oil pump can allow oil to seep by when the bike is sitting not running? Do I need to check the oil pump? The oil does seem to accumlate while the bike just is not running and then comes out when I start it. After that only drips.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”