1949 oil leak

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
ncitta
Bikes: *

1949 oil leak

Post by ncitta »

Hello all, I have an oil leak located as shown in picture, I cannot figure out why, It leaks just with the gravity pressure while sitting with a full oil tank, I have cleaned this hole with acetone to look at it. My questions are, how deep into this hole is the "Plug" supposed to be? Is it a "Welch" plug as on the cam cover and cases? this appears to be an aluminum plug in my cases that is recessed at least 3/8-1/2 of an inch deep.
Is this correct? What is this connected to? what would you recomend to fix this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: 1949 oil leak

Post by PanPal »

I'm guessing it is a plug and was a hole drilled for the oiling. I would run a small tap in and loctite a set screw in below the surface.
ncitta

Post by ncitta »

Thanks, but I am still trying to keep it as close to "stock" as possible. any answers as to what was "factory" as far as plug depth in cases and what that passeage was for?
The tapped plug is going to be a last resort but a good option, thanks!
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Mr. Citta,

It is a quarter-inch cad welch plug, pressed in about 3/8 of an inch to a seat. That's where the oil passage that feeds the two holes up to the cylinders was drilled from.

That ledge inside shows how it angles down to where a vertical passage comes from the pump.

I'd just clean it good and fill it a little with good silver paint, nobody can see in there.

NightShift
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ncitta

Post by ncitta »

Thanks! yes, it is hard to see, I will follow your advice, thanks so much for the photo conformation, mine looks exactly like it!
I was fearful that someone had modified it.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”