Case exploded! This can't be good

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Snake33
Inactive member

Case exploded! This can't be good

Post by Snake33 »

This is a sad tale. Here's what happened.......I was enjoying a nice Sunday ride. Going about 50 mph. Out of nowhere I here a huge clank bang clank clank from the engine. That was clue #1 that things were bad. I quickly pulled off the road. When I looked down I saw a huge puddle of oil growing under my bike, clue #2. I got off and peeked at the engine..just a quick glance as I prayed...hmmm...the right engine case is shattered into several pieces, clue #3. I'm no expert, but I pretty much have it figured out now that I'm screwed. I Took it home, hid it in the garage and then went to work. Now I'm wondering, how screwed am I?
Initial questions for the experts are:
-what happened and why?
-can or should the case(s) be repaired?
-if so, who should I have do it?
-knowing that I have to completely disassemble the engine to fix this...what other problems or fixes should I plan on doing while I have it apart?

I am sure I will have a million more questions as I go through this...any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

............I sure wish I lived near Cotton
panomania
Inactive member

Re: Case exploded! This can't be good

Post by panomania »

not sure how and why, but whatever you do dont send your stuff to dragon man in colorado for repair.
what year model?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Snake -

Sounds like you've thrown a connecting rod or rods. Did you get up all the case pieces? If so, makes it easier to fix, although there are some lower case replacement sections available. Haven't looked for them in years. Cal Customs, I believe, was one of the manufacturers. Plan on a complete overhaul. If it was the rods, then it was probably a wristpin end that turned loose. This is not going to be cheap, but I like to keep original equipment. So, I have the originals repaired. The aftermarket cases are fantastic, and your case repair will be as much or more than the cost of new aftermarket. Where are you located? I use Head Hog, Inc (Don Sullivan) for case repairs this extensive. Does beautiful work. I do primarily engine and transmission rebuilds, but am not set up for this kind of damage. So, I farm it out to someone like Don. Did I say beautiful work? I'm in N. Carolina. Let us know what you decide.

Jack
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

Panomania and Jack,
Thanks for the valuable info.....no Dragon Man....yes Head Hog!
The bike is a 1965 FLH. Currently it is nearly all OEM, including the original paint. I am trying to keep it that way as much as possible, so I will definitely look into Head Hog for the case repair.

Also, I am in Southern California.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Sorry Man, to hear about your Explosion. Take some comfort in the fact that the oil that came out, didn't make you lose control & make things worse!!!!
You can rebuild, & you're not hurt [physically]
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Snake!

Sounds like a catastrophy. Until you get into it, you really won't know what happened.
I stopped taking in motorwork last year, so living close would only allow you moral support.
I know this won't make you feel any better,...but...
I have been trying to replace some '65 cases since the late '80s, when I wasn't tooled up, and let a middleman send them off for repair. They came back felonized: the numbers cut out and welded poorly into a stolen set. I got the creep indicted, but he got off with a Columbian lawyer and an interpreter (and probably a lot of cash under the bench). I wish I could have testified instead of the middleman, who continued to do business with the thief. But my State thought they were 'protecting' me. And my cases disappeared.
The last I heard, (maybe just a new urban legend), this creep was the gunshow vendor who sold the Columbine kids their pieces.
I'll give everybody three guesses who this was, and the first two don't count.
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

Billy,
You're right, I am lucky that I didn't get hurt. When I went to work that day I was told a story about a guy who was driving a truck that through a rod. The rod apparently shot through the floorboard and severed his leg.....that would really ruin your day. So in the big picture, just having my engine explode isn't so bad.

Cotton,
The moral support would be nice, but having your expert advice nearby is what I was really shooting for. As you were saying, I won't really know what went wrong until I get it apart, but, if I don't know what to look for I may still not know what went wrong. That is where you would have come in! I have yet to find someone out this way with whom I am confident that they know what they are doing when it comes to older bikes. The Harley dealers won't even look at a bike that is older than 1990..let alone a panhead. All I ever get from them is, "that part is obsolete, you'll have to go to V-Twin."
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Snake, I have a friend that had "greneded his cases", Running HARD w/Big inch motor,& took shrapnel in the leg, & the car he was passing took a chunk in the door, & he wrecked right after that!!
He's back in the game, & so is his bike!!

Big Daddy "Don Garlits" of Top Fuel Dragster fame, had a flywheel shear off the crank & Come thru the floor & saw off part of his foot. Late 60's, I believe. Right after that NHRA mandated the use of "Scattershields" in place of stock bellhousings. To prevent any more of that.
I also think if 'many' of us lived near Cotten, he would move!!
I'm very glad that he freely shares his VAST knowledge on the forums. That to me is GOLD !!
I wouldn't intentionally jepordize that!!!
I believe you get into her, you will see where the "Weak Link" was.. IMO. And post your findings w/pics if possible. Just a thought..
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

Billy,
Yikes...my family was actually following me when this event occurred. I'm sure that my daughters would have been mentally scarred if they watched daddy's leg get chopped off as his bike blew up right in front of them and then mommy drove over his bleeding carcass with the truck. Whew, okay, I guess I'm feeling a lot better about this. When I get things apart I will post my findings and the corresponding questions (read pleas for help). I will add pics if I can figure out how to put them up. Otherwise I will e-mail them to you or anybody else willing to look at them and offer advise.
Thanks,
Snake
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

OK, none of that bad stuff happened..Great!!
Moving on...
The place this will bite ya is the wallet, as Jack mentioned!! Best thing when ya get in there & can take some "Good Pics" Maybe Email Panhead, about how to post a pic. I still don't know how, properly.. This way many more "Eyes" can see & try to make sense out of this. There are Some Sharp GearHeads on board here.!!
I think for those who don't do their "Own Wrenching"
they are curious as to see what an explosion can look like.. But most importantly, you will get more input.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

The most important tool I own is one of my new-est (and one that I could not fabricate): my digital camera.
Information is everything, and it should be free.
Let us know what you find, Snake.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Cotton -

Several years ago, I traded a 35mm camera (that the dealer wanted real bad) for a digital, that would be considered a pocket instamatic by today's standards. Dropped it a few weeks ago, and that was that. All the excuse that I needed to upgrade. You are right about it being a valuable tool. I keep it on my truck seat, everywhere I go. I snap pictures so that I don't have to depend on memory for important things. How did we make it without them.
And, on the topic, I shoot digital pics of disassembly and reassembly of customer's engines/trannys. I email a few to them at different stages, and burn them a CD of all of them, at the end. If I were doing something as catastrophic as a blown case, the pictures would bring the reality of the damage and repairs to the customer. Plus, they have something for show and tell. Great tool. One of the best.

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack & Cotten, I gots to agree. I am fortunate enough to have a wife that knows what I need, sometimes before I know. Christmas, I got my New Digital Camera. I'll admit, it can do more things, than I can do with it! For Now!! But taking pictures of a resto- or a rebuild. The camera is so Handy!!!!! Such a valuable tool!!
Great helper for my memory as well!!!! ;D

Snake, shoot the pics man!! A Pic is worth a thousand words. So I've heard!!!!
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

I got the digital camera, but I think it will take a while to get the pictures to come out clearly. My tears keep fogging up the lens.
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Snake. Glad you made it through it. I've seen the results a couple of times, but never met any of the participents. Another thing a digital camera is good for is seeing things you normally can't. The fuel line going into the back of a 60 Series Detroit Diesel head comes to mind. (Did the factory put a swivel on this one, or is that a normal fitting I about to break off in a VERY inaccesable spot?) Just hold the camera back there, and in a few seconds you know the answer.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”