1962 Panhead cases..

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
candidate

1962 Panhead cases..

Post by candidate »

I have a set of chromed '62 Panhead cases that I have owned for 35 years. The side & top chrome is excellent (smooth), The case belly is chromed but rough in texture. I have been running these cases for 6 years on a rebuild (18,000 miles) with no problems. Two questions come to mind: 1. where there any Panhead years where the Motor Company chromed the cases? As in Police or Masonic bikes? This was originally a Police bike. 2. I have been told many times the chromed cases are a bad thing because the chrome fosters heat buildup., although the bike is running fine on the last rebuild, I'm just interested in opinions. The running oil temp with a combination filter/cooler is 210-230 F in the summer.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Other than cosmetic concerns, the only real problem with a well-masked chroming job is 'hydrogen embrittlement'. I really do not know if aluminum is affected as much as ferrous metals, because it usually flakes off before the part breaks!

Hydrogen embrittlement..

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply. It seems the whole process is not a very exact science. Possibly the heat/cool cycles affect the environment enough so no hydrogen is generated on the metal surface. This may allow the hydrogen to rediffuse from the metal and restore ductility. No matter, the cases have held under stress and there is no flaking on the cases. Whoever did the electro plating many years ago did a great job. I paid $500.00 for the bike & title in 1970 and after much hand wringing over the price paid up! who knew?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I guess that's why they say:
"There's no chrome like old chrome."

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”