VelvaTouch lifter kits

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

VelvaTouch lifter kits

Post by 57pan »

I was trying to find more information on the VelvaTouch lifter kits that Jack mentioned in another thread. Jack said that Vern had sold the business but I do believe that Vern Ott is making them and selling them himself again. I found a listing for these lifter kits on eBay and called the number and talked to Vern himself.
Maybe whoever bought him out reneged on the deal and he took it back again. I do know that the VelvaTouch lifter kits were being distributed thru MidWest because they appear in the printed catalog but when I tried to access the catalog part number on-line it is no longer available.
Anyway, I was thinking of going with the Crane hydraulic units in my stock lifters and some of the thin steel pushrods. But even buying through the discount on-line places it will run about $300. Now I'm thinking that for not too much more $ I can get the VelvaTouch lifter kits direct from Vern Ott (he told me it would be about $430 for black lifter blocks for a stock stroke panhead).
So, I just thought I would pass this along in case others may be interested in these lifter kits.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: VelvaTouch lifter kits

Post by Jack_Hester »

Vern was selling them through Rivera Engineering at one time. I bought mine directly from him, must have been when he first marketed them. Bought another set years later, that we used on a friends Shovelhead. I've never used the Crane units, and have often wondered about them. If the Velva-Touch perform as well in Pan engines, as they have in my 76 FLH, I highly recommend them.

Jack

P.S. - I'm finally back on two wheels, since my '04 accident. My trusty old '59 FLH is my only ride, since I put it on the road again two weeks ago. Weather starting to get unpredictable, as this part of N. Carolina is going through the pains of trying to be Winter. Sure does feel good to be back out on the backroads, away from the terror of roage minivans.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

''I'm finally back on two wheels''
Good to hear that Jack!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Post by duodave

Excellent news Jack. I am sure you will appreciate riding even more after such a serious accident.
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

Thanks,
I think I am going to put this set up in this winter...seems like a nice upgrade.
62trvler

Post by 62trvler »

I may also go with them since I need to replace my setup and they come recommended
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

I have the velvatouch lifter kit installed along with my new A cam and new cam bushings , it sounds great. Too much snow to take it for a spin
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Rammy -

Keep us informed. That's the exact setup that I have, 'A' Grind and VT. I may experiment with a couple Leinewebers, in the future. But, the VT's stay.
As to the riding, temperatures have dropped into the teens at night, here in N. Carolina. And, we had a high of 31 DegF, today (Friday). Lower tonight and tomorrow. I put the Pan on a Battery Tender, and will let things warm up a bit. I'll still get it out and ride it over town (5 miles) from time to time.

Jack
Rammy
Former member

Post by Rammy »

Jack
N Carolina is nice, My Dad lived out his last years there on lake Norman. He loved old boats.
The main thing I found with this set was the front exhaust seat where the push rod tub sits is not quit square with the angle of the tub by about.025 so the rubber ring seeps oil some ,uneven pressure on the seal , I can maybe just put one of the silicon seals in , they are squasher or some time put it on the mill and buzz it to the correct angle.I hate to send it back for an easy little fix.
Just for fun I put an oil pressure gauge on , with the stk. pump on my 51 and #50 oil it runs it runs 35 cold and 8 warm at idle.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack-

Glad to hear you are getting some 2 wheel time as your weather permits !!!
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Thanks, Billy -

Sorry I haven't emailed in a while. Winding down some major builds, and looking forward to my own for a change. How about you? Any decent riding weather in your new location? I'll try to get a note off, soon. Email still the same? Have a good one.

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack,

Yep same email addy. weather is good, had a 2 day cold snap, but back in the 60's & sunny .. Lots of good riding weather & really enjoying the country roads !!!!
You have a Good one too..

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”