Shovel left case mated to a pan right side case

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
72Rick

Shovel left case mated to a pan right side case

Post by 72Rick »

I'm new to the board. You guys have a great thing going here, I hope I can be an asset. Now a question...I have a '60 pan right side case. Can it be mated to a shovel left side case? This would allow the alternator to be used, as well as electric start, and shovel left sides are easier to come by than pans. If so, what years will match? If not, is there a source for pan lefts? I know that Cal-Products used to make them, but not any more. I need to get a pan on the road. I've been screwing around for 25 years, it's time to move. Thanks!
65flh5326
Bikes: -

Re: Shovel left case

Post by 65flh5326 »

Yes it can be done, however the same problems may be encountered when using any mismatched cases.
Cases are machined in matched pairs when new. Sometimes there can be a severe shift on the main bearing bores and the right case bearing may have to be relocated, so as the case lapping tool will be able to clean up the right case bearing.
Jims makes an oversize right case bearing that can for the most part help.
Also the cylinder mount surfaces may need to be cut true to each other.
Here is the machine I use for these purposes. Jig Borer.
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/sh ... 500&page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
72Rick

Post by 72Rick »

Excellent info. This is what I was hoping for. I wasn't sure the cases would bolt together. They look like they would, which is what got the wheels turning in the first place. I figured a hone of the cases at least to get the races to line up, but it looks like we may actually be talking about boring. The cylinder decks and motor mounts I assumed would have to be matched also, so this is not unexpected. I realize that there are possible left-right flywheel and sprocket shaft issues that I will have to address as well. I have one place to check with to see if they can do the work, but is there anyone that is preferred by members on the board? 65 FLH it looks as though you're set up to do this kind of thing, do you do it for hire? Man, you just threw fuel on the fire...can you smell the smoke?
65flh5326
Bikes: -

Post by 65flh5326 »

I can do that, but I am snowed under for a while, nobody ever wants anything in Febuary ::)

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”