Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
ridermike
Bikes: 1960 FLF
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Worn tappet blocks

Post by ridermike »

Does anyone have a fix for worn cast iron tappet blocks? Let me explain first. The mounting holes are good and the bores are decent, the problem is the guides (slots) for the tappet rollers are worn. I know cast iron doesn’t weld well and I don’t know how brass would hold-up in this area. Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cotten?

Thanks Mike
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Worn tappet blocks

Post by Panacea »

Mike, I would think the bores would probably distort some if you welded on them, probably cant re-bore or hone with the slots in the bore but i'm just guessing. good luck with it. Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

ridermike
Are you talking about the bottom of the lifter block where the tappet roller can run up and into ? They make over size tappets ( Jim's comes to mind ) , not sure of exact method of boring them for over size tappets but, mine were done to .005 over ( max on Jim's big axle solid tappets ). Some one here will know if its bored and honed or what. There should be a little gap when its up all the way , you should be able rotate it just a little , but it should be up to specs in how the tappet fits in the guide bore.
Do you think the roller guides have too much play and causing the tappet to run on and angle not in line with the cam lobes?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Mike!

Some silver solders produce a durable face, or at least harder than brass, at lower temps than welding.

....Cotten
PS: Oversized tappets are fitted by honing the bore, and will not help the slots.
ridermike
Bikes: 1960 FLF
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Post by ridermike »

I know that if the slots could be repaired I would have to hone to a larger size. I need new tappets anyway. I run solids and the inserts have worn the ID of a couple of tappets. I guess the previous owner wasn't much on checking and adjusting the valves.
Olddude has a NOS rear block but no front and the repros look like crap. I guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks Mike

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”