Engine main seal

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
kaptekarev
Inactive member

Engine main seal

Post by kaptekarev »

My '62 Pan is leaking oil from the left side (primary side) crank case seal. What's involved in replacing that seal? With the primary off I can see what appears to be a round nut with two small holes 180 degrees apart. Guess I need some type of tool for that? Is there a special oil seal puller that I'm going to need?
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Engine main seal

Post by 57pan »

You can use a small punch to loosen the seal (I used a small nail set - hold it at an angle and tap it with a hammer). The original was not really a seal but an oil slinger but you can get an aftermarket part that has a double-lip seal to replace it.

Here's a picture of when I did mine a couple of years ago. The one on the left is the new seal.

65 Eric
Inactive member

Post by 65 Eric »

Kaptekarev,
I believe that is a left-handed thread on the seal. You might have a hard time trying to unscrew it the "regular way".

Eric
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Unless you have made the leap to a belt drive, you do not want a seal.

The puke from the primary is the bike's way of telling you it needs to be ridden.

Seriously.

If you cannot put it through its paces regularly enough to purge the sumped oil, then either burnish the ballcheck for a more efficient seal, or drain the tank between campaigns.

If you have a belt and a seal, beware that your cases can fill completely.

...Cotten
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I have a '58 with belt, ride a lot, and can't get this bugger to seal either. Have f'd with it a few times, but it still has a tendency to leave a puddle in my primary. What's the real answer? Don't say go back to chain, believe it or not, this is really my only significant leak that I can't get to stop.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

panfreak
Mine leaks the same place ,but I have a tapered shaft . I made my gasket in two parts for the engine to inner primary gasket. I also run a belt and I don't seem to get any oil in the primary . Some one said , I think it was in the other sight , that if you leave a cut in the bottom portion of the gasket , it will let the oil go on the out side of the inner primary ( using gravity I guess ) , like mine does ( my rear white wall pays for it) She leaves a couple of drops when parked , totally acceptable to me.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”