Blind case bolt hole has a crack

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Blind case bolt hole has a crack

Post by Panacea »

I got a call from Don Sullivan today about my case repair, it seems there are more problems than I anticipated. The blind case bolt hole has a crack I hadn't noticed, as well as the front mount repairs/generator cradle repairs, oil pump bolt hole crack-out,rear mount crack-out. I've got a feeling by the time I'm done I'll have more cash in these cases than new ones would have cost. Live and learn, if I ever buy another pan, I'll study the bike a bit more throughly,(and see if it passes the 20 mile test drive). MW
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Headhog

Post by Jack_Hester »

MW -

Don't look back. You are doing the right thing. When done, your cases will be better than any aftermarket. They will be one fine set. The really good thing about doing it right is that it will be the last thing you will have to worry about. You could have never seen these problems, with just an external look. No test drive would have made them apparent. I've had this done many times, over the years. Most of the time, the reaction was the same from the customer. But, the smile was priceless, when the engine fired for the first time after the build. Your cases are in good hands. Keep us informed on the progress.

Jack
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Jack,thanks for the encouragement. I do love these old bikes, it's like the difference between a new rollercoaster and an old wooden one. The reason I bought another pan is cause I missed my 49 so much. I guess thats called sellers remorse, I tried to buy it back without any luck. So i'm basically re-building from the ground up. I talked to Michael "Mercury" Morse today about my front drum brake, he re-lines the shoes with a better friction material then arcs the assembled shoes on a lathe to fit my drum, Which he is also going to turn to remove the chrome inside the drum. It's a wonder it worked at all! Vintage brake is the name of his shop. I've got the tranny all re-built by an old harley one man machine shop called TCC American Motorcycles. The guy is full of helpful ideas and he also suggested having my frame checked out on a jig because of a motor tranny alignment issue. So I'm also waiting for that to get done. It could be a while before this bike is back in service,I was thinking the other day, Is this where basket cases come from? people that tear bikes apart, then die or lose interest? Another reason to stay healthy I guess! See Ya...MW
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

MW -

I would say that you have some good resources close by. Follow their lead on this. You won't regret anything done to make this machine better than new. Think of it like a child. You will spend on the best, knowing that it's not for the money.

Jack

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”