Bad case of cases

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
relic
Inactive member

Bad case of cases

Post by relic »

Hello! any tricks to fix Very badly loosen pinionrace keeper? It's so loose that move is about 0,1mm[some 0,04inch)aprox.
Or is the only way to march to partshop and order new set of aftermarket cases?It's shame because other components are in pretty deacent condition...
Any kind of adhesive glues are probably out of question because clap is big.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Bad case of cases

Post by Cotten »

Please explain a little: The "keeper" is the setscrew?
Has the race spun in the case to make clearance?
If so, this is not a difficult repair for a competent machinist with a good mill.
Races are made in as much as .050" (1.27mm) oversize, so that the case bore can be recut true to the main axis by centering upon the sprocket race.

Beware that use of a potting compound, such as locktites or epoxies, can insulate the race.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Relic -

I'm with Cotton. More info needed. Do you have a parts manual that you can identify the part(s) in? I always tell people to get a shop manual and a parts manual, when they have an old bike. Parts manuals are great for drawings. If you have one, give us a part number. Or, give me the year of your engine, and I will scan you a drawing from the parts manual.

Jack
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

somewhat off topic, but I couldn't resist!
I don't think I could ride a bike that gave me the clap!

(btw relic, in good humor, "clap" in the US also can mean gonorrhea)

Good luck with it, listen to the members here, nobody will steer you in the wrong direction.
relic
Inactive member

Post by relic »

Hello.
I probably couldn't find correct words.So I'll try again :) I mean that the insert (which holds pinion bearings outer-race)in right hand cases casting is very loose.I suppose that
it should be very solid. :'(So if there is any good ways
to repair it,please let me know?
Thanks,
relic
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Sounds pretty scary.
I have pinned the cast-in insert for the sprocket side, but never the pinion. I really don't know if there is enough matrix metal to allow it.
Pinning kits and the special bonding agent "Fluid Weld" are available from http://www.silver-seal.com/
shaker

Post by shaker »

This place says they specialize in cracked harley cases 0025 runout drive -side to pinion side. i have not had any dealings with them , so i dont know here;s there Add:
Advanced Cycle Machining
1711 winter St,
Superior Wi, 54880
715-392-7095
amklyde

Post by amklyde »

I have been sending parts off to Superior Cycle Service for over 20 yrs. They have always been honest, fair and dependable. If Phil says he can fix it, it will be done. The old insert will have to be bored out and a new one made to be pressed in. Place your trust in these people and all will be OK.
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

Phil @ Advance is the guy who just repaired/restored my '64 heads. Beautiful work, reasonable turn-around. I'd assume that his case work is also outstanding. (officially he will not accept work from individuals, a licensed shop must send him the work) That is usually not a problem for most of us. We Pan owners generally have a shop or two that will take care of us quite well.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”